IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

I hate it when I type so long my session times out-and neither a refresh nor the back button recovers the looong post!

Chris, You don't sound too sure of your position-better ask that Hooters girl! I can always count on your passionate comments-and I appreciate that!

Alan got to me long ago with the S30 and world view of the Z(-not to mention consistantly smacking us in the back of the head because as important as the USA was to the S30, we did not get all of the options and the cool parts the RHD parts of the world got-due to the DOT or getting the cars over here as fast as Nissan could)not the same, but the same...gray line to me-the kind that requires car show rules to become more explicit!

I must admit, when someone asks me about a 240Z I see Bill Reagans 2545-while it was still in Texas-in my head.

With you (and the so far silent majority here ) on one end and Lee(with the not so silent majority on-ahem-HybridZ) this could be a great thread! The passion for our cars is what it is all about-I can appreciate and respect anything that someone is passionate enough about to do something with, even if what they do is not something I want a title to!

I don't think any well kept 240Z goes anywhere without being followed by some serious WOWs! I posted way back when about driving my 240Z to the Alltel Store and really pissing off a 350Z owner right after the 350Z came available-he had no clue what a 240Z was, but it pissed him off that an old sports car got more attention than his brand spankin' new one! That only gets better every time it happens-not so much the pissing off the 350Z owner-but the attention a well kept 240Z gets!

Edited by hls30.com

Agreed, John. That's why I said argueably. The domestic accessory market may be considered different from the import market, the import accessory market began well before the introduction of the 240Z, what market drove what, all good talking points. I just wanted to point out how well entrenched the accessory industry was at the time and what we now consider modifications were not duringthe period. Good comment.

Chris

Edited by 26th-Z

Yutaka Katayama did NOT design the Z-car. He certainly engineered the marketing and sales of the Z-car, and did it remarkably well for all Datsun products, but he did NOT design the car.
Of course you'd know that if you've watched ay of the historical TV pset, you shows or video series about the Z car. I got his book at the 2008 convention and I read it, and there's a LOT more to it than you see on some TV show.

Bt I would just like to say this to all those who are quick to pull out the nukes when someone makes a candid reference to Mr K. and "designing the Z car:"

ASK first if the person is serious or joking. If you get upset you only make yourself look bad.

Another thing a lot of people get mixed up was at the 2010 convention, when it was the "40th anniversary" but if I'd mention that the Z car had 50 years of history behind it, people would get upset and try to offer correction where it wasn't needed.

Edited by TomoHawk

I was at MidOhio all last weekend, and I can tell you, the manufacturers must've had every 22 year old girl with nice looks from a 10 mile radius of the place! Every 15 minutes I was walking around the infield, a couple girls would run up to me and ask, " Can we get a picture with you?" That kind of reaction hasn't happened since college. ;)

Zness in a Z.....The feline shape,timeless design ,long nose/short cabin. Mods this has been done from the get go, then 350 Chev's now LS1,LS2 and even 7 litre LS's. Mod/heritage, in an interview Mr. K clearly stated that one thing he might have changed on his creation was ''MORE POWER''. What mods do-----Personalize----;)

I knew there was something about the reference to what Mr. K said about "more power:, and it has been bugging me since Lee scolded me with:

hls30.com ... if you use a quote please use it as intended and not just select parts of it to misinformed ,...

Here is the preceding question and Mr. Ks full answer from the the interview in question. The interview took place between Mr. Yutaka Katayama and Don Hazen at at the 1995 Zcon in Atlanta.

Mr. Hazen asked: "If there was one thing you could have done differently with the 240Z, what would it have been?"

Mr. K answered: "More Power, I would have given the six cylinder engine more power."

Looks like the pot called the kettle black...:finger:;)

No harm, no foul, just a friendly poke in the ribs-if we can't laugh at ourselves, we will miss out on a whole bunch of fun!

Edited by hls30.com

Back in the 80's I built a 73 Pinto, when I was done with it it was sporting a 351 Cleveland 4BBL with 4BBl heads and 4 bolt main, and a Borg Warner 5 speed pushing a 9 inch rear with 4.56 gears. There was very little "Pinto" left of the original car that I drove into my shop to start with. But on the bright side, it did have "MORE POWER".

And and a Corvette V8 aint what Mr. K had in mind for more power!::embarrass:

My Z, has what I have stated before, she is a Nostalgic, Japanese Motor Car with an ATTITUDE, she is wicked and sexy ;) That engine bay screams V8 :cool:

Edited by 72 OJ

Chris,

Whaddya mean I don't get to use the secret handshake? My Z came from the Datsun dealer in 1972 with the side molding, louvers and 4-slot mags...

BTW, I agree with you on the yellow plated hose clamps... Mine has mosty non-stock clamps at this point. I just can't justify the high cost of original style clamps compared to high quality screw clamps.

Of course, since my Z isn't really "original", (toyota 4x4 front calipers, Rebello stroker, eibach springs, etc), - guess I can't use the secret handshake anyway! :)

Edited by Oiluj