IGNORED

Making Luggage straps

TomoHawk

You mean they fit through the slot of the factory mounting plates? Then you just loop each end over and cinch it up...

I don't see why you couldn't get those at the local Auto parts store. All I've found so far are heavy Cargo Straps with heavy hooks and the ratcheting things.

They do fit through, but they have very easy to use secure "buckles" that I could not source easily in several trips to local auto parts, hardware or outdoor stores. Plus the straps are black.

They do a great job of securing things when we go to ZDAYZ at Tail of the Dragon (318 turns in 11 miles) for example.

I'll admit that it's been a long while since I really looked at the straps on my S30, but I remember the ability to very quickly completely uncouple the strap from the car. If (failing) memory serves, I would loosen up the strap up a little (just enough to lift the stuff in the rear) and then use that detachable mounting plate you mentioned to release the strap from the car.

I loved that feature. :love:

I have thought of some designs for anchor plates, or you could use something like those used on a Passat:

post-2169-14150819578673_thumb.jpg

I think you hook the straps, cords, or "bungees" onto those, and the Passat is the only car I know of with a flush anchor that looks nice. I'll see if there are any (you'd need four total) at the JY, but they look like they are flush-mount, which means you might have to cut or shave the carpet for them to be truly "flush".

Would you be willing to do that?

The Passat anchor doesn't really look period correct (maybe you could Plasti-Dip it to give it a 'plastic look) but about the only other thing I can think of right now would look like a piece of 1 inch angle or a strap hinge; either with a keyhole slot.

Edited by TomoHawk

Most hiking/camping outdoor stores carry webbing on spools that can be cut to length in 2", 1 1/2", 1" and 3/4". They also have climb-spec webbing (thicker and rated to hang your life on it). They also carry all sorts of buckles and fittings that you don't even have to sew anything. (I know because I own such a store) I did my straps years ago.

I have thought of some designs for anchor plates, or you could use something like those used on a Passat:

I never knew they used flush anchors like that. I'll have to take a look at the JY next time I'm there.

I'm actually thinking that I'm going to sell the Z32 soon, so I probably shouldn't even consider making changes like that right now! :laugh:

I would have to support rocketdog's comments in this matter.

A good supplier of outdoor and climbing equipment will have webbing and buckle options that are flexible, strong and versatile. It might be easy to think that the capabilities of the products used in climbing might far exceed any perception of what might be required for a car, but if you are involved in a collision you will want whatever is secured to a your rear luggage shelf to remain secured. Climbing gear is designed for that very task.

Spend the minimal extra money and enjoy the sense of security it brings.

I have harped on about this in previous threads, but I do have concerns about second hand safety gear of unknown history being used to restrain objects or humans in collisions. In the event of an accident, you will never regret having spent the money to preserve your personal safety.

I have harped on about this in previous threads, but I do have concerns about second hand safety gear of unknown history being used to restrain objects or humans in collisions. In the event of an accident, you will never regret having spent the money to preserve your personal safety.

What's worse is that there is a good chance that not only has the second hand equipment in the junkyards has been used once already to protect occupants, those belts have been exposed to repeated cycles of rain, sun, hot, cold, etc. When I didn't know better, I was a fan of junkyard belts, but fortunately for me, with age came wisdom...at least a little wisdom.

In my earlier reply hiking/camping outdoor stores have different widths of typically black webbing used for daypack and backpack belts and straps. The 2" can actually be seat belt webbing. Climb-spec webbing, called tubular webbing, is way strong and typically comes only in 1" and 9/19" widths. It does come in colors though which your store may have a choice of if you wanted a bit of bling.

I just went out to the JY and grabbed a pair of the anchors from a '91 Passat. An older Golf I saw there didn't have them. I only needed a heavy Phillips bit instead of a Torx one. I also got a cargo net (20x40) from a Ford Explorer.

I've never seen webbing available anywhere in my area. All we have here besides KMart/WalMart is D.ick's.

As for the safety belts, I was only referring to the buckles.

Edited by TomoHawk

Is the Passat the only vehicle with nice cargo anchors? You'd think that minivans or vehicles with large carpeted back areas might have the fancy anchors, but all I saw was rusty or zinc-galvanized rings bolted to the floor. :sick:

So you can wait a few weeks for another luxury VW :rolleyes: to get to the JY or buy some through eBay :(

Edited by TomoHawk

• 1 month later...

I was ble to find a cargo net of 30 x 40 inch size with heavy plastic hooks on the corners on eBay. After mounting the VW net rings to the deck of my car, we will find out how that idea works out. I also got a smaller cargo net from a Ford Explorer from the JY.