surfer.tech

Does your S30 leak oil?

Does your S30 leak oil  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Does your S30 leak oil

• Yes
    • No
    • umm kinda

I dont know how to create a Poll on this website but here goes.

Does your S30 leak oil? Is there a way to have a oil leak free engine?

Rebuilt with new gaskets?

original and leaking? etc. Lets hear it!

Edited by surfer.tech
spelling

I think I have oil leaks all over just not so bad as to make me want to do major repairs. Rear main may be leaking a little. I fix them as I go.

No oil leaks. My motor (L28 in my 240) has a "Remanufactured by Nissan" tag on it. I doubt there are more than 10k miles on it but I have no way of knowing. Anyhow, I guess they did it right.

No oil leaks. 200,000+ on an L24. Wish I could offer tips, but I don't know how it has pulled it off. BTW: It's been without one valve cover bolt for two years since a friend snapped the bolt off in the block. Still, no leaks.

Chris

I've had 10 S30's over the past 25+ years and I can't remember any of them ever leaking a drop of oil.

The only time I can recall having an oil leak is when the oil pressure sensor was leaking.

Tailshaft on trans. Replaced seal, started leaking again about 5 days later. To hell with it. Very Minor.

Both my 240Z's leaked everywhere when I bought them but now that I have redone all the seals and gaskets I have no leaks.

I've owned my '71 since it was new and have only replaced the valve cover gasket and water pump gasket during routine maintenance - no leaks ever.

Dennis

Not even a weep. I think that it's a factory original 1978 engine, looks like it's never had work done on it.

Mine was leaking badly when I got it. Turns out the timing cover was loose. With each bolt tightened to 8 lb/ft I haven't seen a drop of oil in my CLEAN garage.

For what its worth, my '71 was tight as a drum as well.

Dry as a bone. Engine rebuilt & I replaced rear seal on tranny as a precaution. Original diff is still tight and there are no records of anything being done to it. (I have all records).

I'm hoping my rebuilt 5-speed doesn't leak after I install it!

I have a leak at the rear main seal. Been leaking for at least the last 14 years. Yes I have the parts to fix it, just to many other demands on my time.

73 Z, 136000 mi. Leaked a little til I put teflon tape on the oil pan plug and torqued the pan bolts. Also tightened the trans cooler line clamps, and torqued trans pan bolts. Saw some oil by a front cover bolt that didn't drip to the ground though- need to torque those.

FWIW, when i attended the 2011 convention in Savannah, they gave everyone a plastic mat to put under the cars that were in the convention center. When the judging was done, and the day was over, and the S30 group pulled their plastic mats out from under the cars, NOT ONE had a drop of oil on it. I was so proud.