IGNORED

Carpet kits

grantf

Thanks olzed, Mom passed away last april due to cancer (a few years back she had a lung lobe removed). And a Father with heart desease who had a minor stroke a few years back. So I am not a very good genetic candidate for smoking. I am hanging in there. I just need to remember to remove the patch before going to sleep. They give you really wild dreams.

I bought a sectional carpet kit from Chester and Herod and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I posted some pictures in a different thread. Lazy workmanship. For example, rear sections behind seats were not sewn on all 4 sides, the rear large deck carpet was oversized. I had to use a handheld steamer to mold the front sections for a smoother/cleaner look. A lot of trimming with scissors masked the overall poor quality of the product.

As usual, I waited for my car to be painted to tackle the carpet installation - that took a year and a half. Once I finally opened the carpet boxes, I realized what I got myself into. My advice is to purchase the carpet when you are _really_ ready to install it.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my interior guy make me the pieces using the old ones as patterns. He bought the color I wanted, bound the edges and even had enough to do the spaces under the seats. Cost was about $280 IIRC.

I used carpet padding underneath for a little extra sound insulation.

There was a ad i read once the guy said the z carpet was made of camel hair.

I guess he got this from the listing of the color, Camel carpet.LOLLOL

Or even more stupid a friend thought that silk came from a silk plant.

There was a ad for a silk plant in a sale paper that led him to believe that is were silk came from.

The smoking thing is hard, but I have the help of niotine patches. I cannot leave them on when I sleep, gives me wierd dreams. Carpet is on hold my Money has been spent on the engine. But I still what new carpet. So far I am thinking Datsunspirit.

Edited by grantf

So now I have a little bee buzzing in my head. After putting my engine back together, My Z is now running great, but no funds for a carpet kit, at least for now.

What if I tried to make My own? I Have a sewing machine left from my previous marriage (I have never used one before). Perhaps it would not work for upolstry.

My thoughts are If I can learn to weld, Paint, dismantle half of the engine and put it back together, ect. Why not some try putting in some "Martha Stewart" time?

Any thoughts?

Perhaps a good idea or a waist of time and money in the end.

Edit: local supplier: http://www.perfectfit.com/

Edited by grantf

While any craft has it's skills and talents which come from learning and practice, I'm one who believes I can usually accomplish almost anything to a reasonably high level of skill because I likely have the highest motivation to make it perfect. Perhaps if you find the carpet and cut out your pieces, there isn't so much sewing, which I'm sure you could figure out, but you could also drop them off at an upholsterer to be bound. We did that with a large room carpet once, and it worked out great. We got the fabric and the dimensions we wanted, and it saved us money. Be sure to take into account any padding or sound proofing materials when measuring. You can also buy the binding and put that sewing machine (and some hand stitching) to good use, and imagine your satisfaction when you have done the job yourself. Good luck