IGNORED

71' Refresher project starts

grnsky

Batt tray removed for sand blasting. Lots of prep work to be done in the heat!

I can't believe you are doing that work in this heat. It is cooking out!

Looks like you have nice access to that battery tray area now. That is a big help. What will you do to the metal after sanding? POR-15? If you don't have that, my new best friend to battle rust is phosphoric acid. You can pick up a gallon at Home Depot for $15, and that will last you a looooong time. It is great for passivating the steel prior to paint. Or you can use that white primer they now sell at Home depot that is specifically for bare metal, but I would still use the phosphoric acid under that. either way, make sure you treat the bare metal. Looks like things are coming along well.

Best regards,

Rich

Thanks for the support Rich,

Yes was hotttt! Will definitely employ the phosphoric acid in the tray area. My body friend says just to clean and light sand the rest of the painted areas in the bay and then prime rather than stripping all the way back to bare metal. Por-15 for sure once everything is decreased and prepped. Working two projects at a time as always. :stupid:The '70 in the drive needs some wiring help, before its ready for sale. And all in this heat!

post-22306-14150819986083_thumb.jpg

Outstanding progress in a short period of time.

Your friends advice is good, I would just sand or scotch brite the engine bay and get it really clean and on to primer.

How do you like the mighty L24 ?

The e-12 dizzy works well with that engine- give it plenty of advance and disconnect the vacuum advance!!!

Nice work

THanks for the support!!

L24 always good. As mentioned I think the combo of the elec dizzy and 280zx starter allows the engine to start right up.

Been a bit too busy working to make any progress on the engine bay, another Z friend of mine came to the rescue and did a refresh on the batt tray.

Needs some replacement metal down the bottom, but its still good structurally.

post-22306-14150820024895_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Made a little progress over the break, some degreasing and sanding of the engine bay. Lots of work to do.... in this heat! :cool:

On the upside though picked up an aftermarket front sway bar and a vented hood from the Jyard. (::cool:

A lucky find can definitely motivate.

post-22306-1415082020334_thumb.jpg

post-22306-14150820203849_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Parts car sold,

Keeping the motor/trans, and couple other items.

Batt tray area has been treated and welded back in. Progress is slow ):

I sold the l24 that was powering this car so am pondering motor choices for it.

I've had them all. Tripples, SU's, turbo swaps, L28e , so we will have to see what works.

Pics to come.

• 3 weeks later...

post-22306-14150820906962_thumb.jpg

Another parts car, with Enkeis!

Also a donor motor (:An l28e bored out with a cam. Very fast! Pulls all the way. Will attach a vid before I pull it. Body is almost rust free too!

Engine bay in 71 primed, more prep work awaits.

• 2 weeks later...