IGNORED

How Many Z Drivers Also Own BMWs?

BoldUlysses

I own a 2005 X5 - it is the best car I have ever owned. I have almost 250,000 miles on it and it drives as good as it does when I drove it off the dealerships lot with 000001 mile on it. I ordered it from Greenville SC and had it built the way that I wanted it. I honestly think I can get another 100,000+ miles on it. Labor and parts have been no worse or no better than anything else out there. The workmanship is excellent - leather quality is excellent - and attention to detail is fantastic. My next purchase will be another BMW without a second thought. I am really feeling the X6 but with as many miles as I drive I'm afraid the staggered wheel and tire size may make it expensive to maintain. For a large SUV the X5 is the best interstate/mountain road driver as I could ask for. I can drive for long stretches and feel great when I get out of the ride. The germans really know how to do it right!

Daily driver is 2001 540i with M-Sport package. Picked it up new at the factory in SC and now have 154,000 miles on it. Fastest and best handling car I have ever owned. I have loved it. Thought about the M5 when I bought it, but couldn't in good conscience with 4 kids to put through college.

I own a 2005 X5 - it is the best car I have ever owned. I have almost 250' date='000 miles on it and it drives as good as it does when I drove it off the dealerships lot with 000001 mile on it. I ordered it from Greenville SC and had it built the way that I wanted it. I honestly think I can get another 100,000+ miles on it. Labor and parts have been no worse or no better than anything else out there. The workmanship is excellent - leather quality is excellent - and attention to detail is fantastic. My next purchase will be another BMW without a second thought. I am really feeling the X6 but with as many miles as I drive I'm afraid the staggered wheel and tire size may make it expensive to maintain. For a large SUV the X5 is the best interstate/mountain road driver as I could ask for. I can drive for long stretches and feel great when I get out of the ride. The germans really know how to do it right![/quote']

36K a year! Wow! You really are the Travel'n Man. :D

Never had much interest in the BMW SUVs, but from everything I've heard they're excellent.

Daily driver is 2001 540i with M-Sport package. Picked it up new at the factory in SC and now have 154,000 miles on it. Fastest and best handling car I have ever owned. I have loved it. Thought about the M5 when I bought it, but couldn't in good conscience with 4 kids to put through college.

Does the M-Sport package always include a 6-speed? An E39 540i/6 is a dream car. There's a silver one with Style 32 wheels around town that I lust after.

Glad you like it. I personally don't care for Bangle's work at all. Too gimmick-laden for my taste. BMW's reached their modern-era peak with the E36 and pre-headlight-halo E39, all downhill since then.

Arne, I don't like most of his work, but the flowing lines on this 3 series are sensual and they seem to all have a purpose. The points where lines start, to where they end, and the path they take, seem to all have a rime and reason. I get a lot of compliments on it and I just want to bow my head down and say: "This one's not mine. I had nothing to do with the way it looks." unlike the Z cars, which I can say I built myself. LOL..again IMHO. Art is never right or wrong. You are not alone. Many people never liked Chris Bangle's work. Goertz's work on the Z, on the other hand....(flame suit on just kidding stop! no! please noooooo_! ahhhhhh)

Back to the original post...I worked for BMW for a few years, at a dealer, and I got to drive a lot of the 80's models. Honestly, what felt most like my 280Z was a mid 80's 325is. Handling, ergonomics, engine, gearshift... I got a similar feeling to my stock 280Z (with upsized tires) at the time.

Why Datsun and BMW go hand in hand? Straight-six, rear drive, driver's cars, "tech-saavy" attractiveness, similar balance, sharp looks.

Edited by cygnusx1

For years I lusted to own a 330Ci. In 2006 I purchased one. Great car to drive, horrible car to own. It was in the shop every 3 or 4 weeks for failed sensors and other gremlins. After driving it for 50,000 miles I gladly sold it 2007 for an A4 Quattro, one of the most trouble free and uninspiring cars I've owned.

My next new car will be a BRZ (when the dealers come off cloud 9).

The only problem I had with my 330 is when it locked me in the car with failed lock actuators....I discovered this also locked the gas cap permanently when the attendant couldn't open it. I called the dealer from inside the car while at the gas station, where I needed to fill up. They told me that the gas cap had an emergency release handle inside the trunk. My reply was: "Where's the emergency release handle for the driver?" Silence.

Edited by cygnusx1

36K a year! Wow! You really are the Travel'n Man. :D

Never had much interest in the BMW SUVs, but from everything I've heard they're excellent.

Does the M-Sport package always include a 6-speed? An E39 540i/6 is a dream car. There's a silver one with Style 32 wheels around town that I lust after.

No, you have a choice between the auto and the manual with the M-sport. I chose auto because wife would drive it from time to time. M-sport made for a fun drive, but a little firmer. Rear diff was higher ratio, different size front and rear wheels (back is nice and fat), bolsters on seats to keep your butt where its supposed to be, a cute M Sport medallion on the steering wheel and some upgraded sound system. I think that is what the option got you...oh forgot one thing, lower gas mileage and guzzler tax if you bought it new.

I've got a '06 5 series. Great car and it's very fun to drive. It's solid and quiet, cornering is absolutely amazing. I have the xi, which is an AWD model. I like the looks, but would prefer to have staggered wheels. The xi model requires same sized wheels on all four corners. I like the sporty look of the staggered wheels on the 5's. Next I will probable spring for the M6 or the Z8. BMW is a great car, but expensive to own. If you don't know how to work on your own cars or at least know how to order parts online, then you will need to have a good job.

It's a great car and very safe. I would put my family in a BMW any day.

I also like the look of some of the classic BMW's. The old 6series and i think the 2002? Was that a model? Neat looking cars.

M

PS: I had the privilege to spend a full day driving a friend of mine's Z8. Talk about an amazing car. It's got the character and personality to last a lifetime. Not to mention, I was able to get a flat 15second time at the drag strip South of Boulder, CO a few summers ago. Very cool experience.