IGNORED

Throttle Linkage Improvements

Captain Obvious

My car needs this mod as did the 240 I had back in the 70s. After the modification is done can you still get wide open throttle with the gas pedal pushed far down or is there something else I need to do to make sure that happens?

Mike

Another thing you can do is to bend to adjust the various pivot points within the line. By INCREASING the radii of the "driving" pivots, and DECREASING the radii of the "drivin" points you can smooth out the overall throw in the system.

• 10 months later...

Well, there are a LOT of joints in the mechanism, so you have to adjust out all the play. When you just start pressing the pedal, the throttle should just start to move. You maybe need a TINY bit of slack to ensure the throttle closes completely at idle.

Another problem could be a lean mixture. Your engine will bog just a bit off idle if it doesn't have enough gas in the mix. Beyond that, I don't know much about your carbs. This is your '71, right?

You're probably going to get better answers in the carburetor section. If the throttle mechanisms on your carbs JUST start to move when you JUST start to depress the accelerator pedal, the problem is not in your throttle linkage.