IGNORED

'76 280Z ran when it was parked... 10 years ago

Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage to converting to carbs if it was already EFI stock?

The Z went fuel injected primarily for emissions reasons. Compared to the simplicity of SUs, L-jet is complex and finicky. Guys convert back to carbs for ease of tuning and performance.

Nope... definitely EFI... He must have been thinking of another car. I opened it up and it looks almost identical to my '83 (with a few differences in connections). So then comes the question: What are the major differences? Obviously there's the body style, but mechanically, what's the same and what's different?

Also, it's not a 75, it's a 76. Sorry for misleading you all :P

I took some photos, but it's my bedtime, so I'll put them up tomorrow.

No use worrying about the differences between the two FI systems. Your biggest concern is getting this one working. Most of the carb conversions we come across are from owners who just want to get in hit the key and drive off....... rather than fight the degrading FI hardware.

The good news is that the car is in AZ (assuming it's near you) where moisture is at a minimum. That will make your life much easier. Fuel tanks, sensors and connectors in most Z cars that have been sitting are usually in very bad shape due to corrosion. Low moisture storage might make your life easier. The gas tank is going to be the biggest challenge though. If gas was left in the tank when it was parked, the gas would have evaporated over time, leaving a nasty sludge in the bottom of the tank. Don't even think about trying to start the car until you drop the tank and look inside it. Once it's out of the car, you can shine a flashlight in the sender hole and look through the fill neck. Unless it's spotless, you can't use it as-is. The bad news is that AZ is the worst place for rubber fuel hoses, so plan on replacing every hose when you drop the tank. You might be able to save the filler hose, but the small ones will be rotten and need to be replaced.

Post lots of pics an we can give you a better idea of what you have to work with.

Nope... definitely EFI... He must have been thinking of another car.

Not to be pedantic (but I am anyway :) ), but L-jet isn't technically electronic fuel injection (the "E" in EFI). It's analog, centered on a crude computer that meters fuel but leaves timing to mechanical and vacuum advance.

Can't wait to see pics!

Sorry BU, but that is a little overly pedantic, and incorrect. The injectors are fired by transistors as is the coil. So, by strict, detailed definition, the L-Jet is "electronic." As I understand the definitions...

I apologize for my delay in getting pictures up! The car has been covered in boxes, so it's been a little difficult, but here's what I've got:

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p533/rocketmannate/1976%20Datsun%20280Z/

I'm going to work on getting that garage cleared out so that I can start working on the car. As soon as I do I'll put more photos up and update you all on my progress. Thanks for the comments! :-)