IGNORED

1970 240z uk project

Jason240z

Dam and blast.

Managed to find someone local who still works with sand!! She looks lovely now..

photo5-5_zpsdd137a30.jpg

photo1-7_zpseb41c07b.jpg

photo4-5_zps84dbc865.jpg

photo2-7_zps922e1375.jpg

photo3-5_zps25556139.jpg

Its now sat at the painters where I've got to go Thursday armed with a dyson type device and to move some old Austins out of the way. Mr Painter was very happy with what he's got to work with, its due to start getting worked on on Monday, do "depending on how my OCD" is it should be fully dressed in paint about 3 weeks after that.

A question for the forum, I'm tempted to have the front of the slam panel black as it was when I got it and when new. Any reason not to?

• 4 months later...

• 1 year later...

As a thread revive.....

Its now painted...

IMG_2410_zps9wtd8rke.jpg

IMG_2411_zpsqrribsqp.jpg

IMG_2413_zpssmdlmk8e.jpg

IMG_2414_zpstruov7uq.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsdk2etvet.jpg

IMG_2420_zpscaj4aatq.jpg

IMG_2422_zpsv6mq8mc6.jpg

IMG_2426_zpsyy4v45t2.jpg

IMG_2428_zps5xx4tpz6.jpg

I've no idea where to start, I've removed the panels, they're hanging safe.

A couple of bits to sort out.

I'm thinking......

protect the box sections with dinitrol

prep and paint chassis subframe parts

Sort suspension

Fit the above

Run loom's

Fit glued on interior parts

fit fuel and brake hoses

tidy and fit tank

Sound about right?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jason240z said:

I'm thinking......

protect the box sections with dinitrol

prep and paint chassis subframe parts

Sort suspension

Fit the above

Run loom's

Fit glued on interior parts

fit fuel and brake hoses

tidy and fit tank

That sounds like a good start..

Good to see you making progress again!

• 10 months later...

As a thread update, I wasn't happy with some parts of the paint, just some of the finish.

Next week its off have the engine bay media blasted to bare metal then a general going over. 

I've been spending the past year researching and collecting parts to put it together.  I'd like it rolling in the next 3 months.

These should help

IMG_4400_zpsjbinc3zj.jpg
IMG_4404_zpsht4zudxk.jpg
IMG_4402_zps37giqdci.jpg
IMG_4401_zpsqbu9htq6.jpg

Nice long springs, full stroke dampers, all just nicely done. 

The suspension is one area i'm really worried about as it will make the car, I value the feel and handling over anything else.  It was lots of research and traveling to see various companies/options.  For me intrax from VA motorsport was the best option as a higher quality, tested and proven setup.  very high quality dampers.

https://www.va-motorsport.com/

http://en.intraxracing.nl/merken/datsun/datsun-240z-260z-280z-(nissan-fairlady-z)/dat5503rsa/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

As a small update, the cars away again having the paint sorted.  Had to blast the engine bay back to bare metal.....

While its out of the garage I've started on bits that should speed up getting it rolling.

I made a bearing guide on the lathe to support the control arm after bending one myself.  Took just over 8 tonnes to press it in!

35837829304_287d41cf0b_o.jpgIMG_4705 by jason spencer, on Flickr

I had a load of stuff plated.

36276852360_4659210c6f_o.jpgIMG_4701 by jason spencer, on Flickr

Took some advice and just gave a tub full to a company, who cleaned and yellow zinc coated it.  Great work and surprisingly cheap.  Saved me a couple of days work also.  I know the bonnet supports should be body colour but I don't like how the paint can rub off.

36534141621_a4a59590ae_o.jpgIMG_4696 by jason spencer, on Flickr

Finally made my mind up about calipers.  It was helped by the fact the replica mk63's aren't being made any more.

1.8kg vs 4kg.  The should look very subtle behind the wheels.  I'm going to run 280x25mm discs.  I'd like discs and bells but the budget won't allow for now, however I think i've found a disc I can use by just redrilling.  I'm going to buy the cheapest version I can as a test(£25ish), then go for a quality version once I know I can measure correctly.

36277046690_23c2554342_o.jpgIMG_4685-1 by jason spencer, on Flickr

36277046630_a72361a449_o.jpgIMG_4687-1 by jason spencer, on Flickr
35837829044_923745fbe9_o.jpgIMG_4707 by jason spencer, on Flickr
35837829344_f3f70f97f7_o.jpgIMG_4706 by jason spencer, on Flickr

The setup saves 1kg per side which I wasn't expecting given the extra weight of the discs.

Just to compound things. A replacement rear arm i've got has damage/bend and seems to be a couple of mm out so I need an arm again.

I'd like to get all the chassis parts ready to bolt on(ish), when I get the shell back.

Edited by Jason240z