IGNORED

Fuel tank removal

Reverend

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50835[/ATTACH]

I am in the process of restoring my fuel tank. I tried cleaning it but there was some debis in it after all the years the car has been on the road. So I removed it two weeks ago, boiled it, resealed, primed, undercoated, ordered a new sending unit and am waiting on the hoses to arrive so I can reinstall. Its also a good time to replace aging gromets and other aging rubber. I figure I only want to do this once. The overall process should take about a month due to waiting on parts to arrive.

That looks nice, and I imagine you would never need to touch that tank again, good job. I wanted to add a tidbit of info about cleaning the sending unit or the entire tank if someone wants to do just a quick and cheap cleaning up of minor rust. Instead of using any high dollar treatments or chemicals, try a bottle or two of "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner, sold at Walmart, ect, for like 1.25 a bottle. Can soak the sending unit in it. If doing the tank, dump a couple bottles in and slush, let it sit, slush again, till clean then empty. Wash out then blow dry right away to get any remaining moisture out. Then some say use a fine mist of wd40, not really sure if getting too much in their would affect the fuel tho, always wondered if just slushing a little marvel mystery oil around would be better, then filling. Ive never actually done this on a Z tank, but have done it on a few other tanks for people who wanted fuel pumps changed out and their tanks had rust forming inside. Was rather amazed how well a couple bucks worth of toilet bowl cleaner cleaned out the rust.

Post #8 suggests the large dia. vent hose is NLA. I purchased three of the four hoses for my '71 car from Courtesy in Sept. 2010. I think the P/N for this hose is 17236-E4601 and Courtesy's site shows it available from the warehouse for $101 (list). The hose I did not purchase was a small dia with no special bends. The other two special bend P/N's are 17235-E4601 and 17239-E4601. I think they also fit the '72 cars. If you replace the hoses, don't overlook the rubber seals where they transition into the interior - available from Banzai and perhaps others.

Jim

You are likely right Jim. I was only going by what I read online about the large diameter hose and even if I did find out it was available, I wasn't about to spend $101 for a vent hose when I bought my whole race car for $350. I restoration project is a different story though and $101 might be a bargain for originality.

...........as always when working with gasoline be sure to use a well vented area - gas fumes linger on the ground and build up (to your light switch or your garage door opener) - this is a job for outdoors when you are draining that tank. Have fun but be careful in your garage!

• 2 months later...

Well the tank is back in, I had it boiled and resealed, then I primed and undercoated the entire exterior of the tank. Then replaced all hoses, filter, groments, sending unit and gasket, blew out the metal lines with air compressor. Took a minute to presurize the lines, the Zeke came back to life and runs the best since I have had it.

I'm redoing my tank now and considering shooting the exterior with Line-X. It should last forever and be "ding" resistent. Has anyone else done this?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I used POR-15 on the outside and applied 3-4 coats. Won't help with dent resistance, but it is a very hard, strong coating.