IGNORED

[2012] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

Started by polishing and porting an N42 Manifold to a 60mm throttlebody and spacer. Began to build a billet fuel rail, but my experiences with ethanol and aluminum have taught me they don't mix. I might have the steel rail chromed at some point. Anyway...Rerouted the FI harness from the firewall and from the coil area. Bought new injectors. Removed the CSI, AAV, and thermotine switch. Used an intake tube adapter with vacuum ports to install the valve cover breather and dist. vacuum lines. Also polished thermostat housing and AFM.

Next project is assembling a spare head I'v torn down, has a new cam and valvetrain. Had to be sure my intake was done, the car has to start when I install that head...

Then a lightened flywheel is staring at me...

But today we drive...

My brother helped me with replacing the rear hatch weatherstripping and door jamb switches in the 260Z.

Oh, by the way, if you EVER decide to get an LED bulb for the dome light polarity is VERY important. I had my brother test the light while I worked on cleaning out the old weatherstripping. He said that it had voltage, but the light still didn't work. I had him pull the dome light from the 73 and test it in the 260Z. It lit up. He thought it was a bad switch in the dome light. I didn't think so because it was a new dome light. It was at that point in time that the cluebird of happiness came to roost upon my shoulder. I tested the bulb with a couple of lantern batteries. Sure enough, the polarity was critical. (Festoon bulbs aren't inherently obvious about polarity, especially to two men who can't see much of anything up close.) After marking the negative side with a paint pen, I gave the bulb back to my brother, and we had the dome light working again.

Several days ago when the weather was nice I wanted to get the Z out for a drive. Fired up fine, out of the garage to warm up, lets look under the hood. Pulled like always, and the entire handle and about a foot of cable came with it. I knew what had just happened.

Lucky for me, 6 years ago, one of the first forum posts I ever read on a Z-car was about the hood opening cable breaking and the problems involved in getting it open again. Smartly, I installed an extra cable in case this ever happened. I am surprised it let loose, however I think the hood has been opened more in the past 6 years than the first 33 years of its life. :)

Bonzi Lon

Today I did some serious contemplating.......

I will be going to the MSA Zcar event at the end of April. And with that, I've decided to use the 17x9.5" Rota's with 275/40ZR17's in the rear and 245/45ZR17's in the front. The problem is they WILL RUB with a full tank of gas,luggage and passenger.....

So my big contemplation is to cut the fenders a bit, for clearance and instal the ZG flares. It's gut renching to think of cutting into my baby but I LOVE THESE WHEELS so much!!! If I do it right and tastefull, it will be worth it. But should I ever decide to change, I'm screwed.

I'll likely do it either way as my heart is really set on doing the ZG Fender flares and wide wheels. But I thought I'd see what you guys thought, or at least get it out there in script so I can look back and say "Well, at least I thought about it first, this time"

Dave

Today I took advantage of our unseasonably warm weather and took the car out for a 45-minute drive! This car has not been driven in February for 20 years! Unfortunately, I discovered that the dash lights didn't want to work. Hmmm. Maybe I should start by installing that parking light upgrade harness that I bought last year, huh Dave? :ermm:

post-23233-14150817796381_thumb.jpg