IGNORED

What Electric Fuel Pump upgrade???

bluezcrazy

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
I also got Carter GP-4070, but still haven't install yet.

Is there any quiet electric fuel pump recommendation?

I think I have the same pump, and I have it all hooked up and will hopefully fire it up tonight.

A lot of how loud these pumps are is in how you mount them. If your carter is the same as mine, then it came with rubber bushings. I put those in between the frame and the pump bracket, AND in between the pump and the pump bracket. The pump is double isolated. It still may be loud, but the install is clean and extremely rugged and durable. I will let you know how she performs, hopefully in less than 24 to 48 hours.

• 5 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2011 at 1:33 PM, Pop's Z said:

FWIW, to answer your question about the Carter fuel pump...that's the one I picked after reading Dave's site like you did. It works fine. I put a NAPA fuel filter between the tank and the pump. I did get a pressure regulator and mounted it after the fuel filter in the engine compartment. The Carter is a bit noisy, but once you get going the noise is drowned out by the exhaust/stereo.

Cheers, Mike

Have you ever measured the pressure of your Carter P4070 Electric pump before the carbs? How much pressure?

I've run Carter and inexpensive Facet pumps on my Z for 40 years.  Both have worked well until "end of life" necessitates replacement.  Even the stock mechanical pump was adequate until I chose to go electric for no particular reason other than the newer Zs had electric pumps.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm finally getting around to replacing the manual fuel pump with an electric pump on my '73 240Z with duel webbers.

It seems most people who have swapped out for an electrical pump, mount the pump close to the gas tank. Other than running a little more wire and fuel tubing, is there any disadvantages of mounting the electric fuel pump in the engine compartment?