IGNORED

Looking for Recommendations

z boy mn

I like the idea of learning with this car--and as an educator I know experience/education can be time consuming...I'll spend some more time reading so I know more about the modifications that were made to this vehicle. It seems someone spent a lot of money on parts, I just wish it were on the road...or had been on the road...more recently.

Hey everyone--off to see the car tomorrow--very excited. And, I have another question if anyone wants to stab at it. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm keen on having something as sporty as possible...but of course this one doesn't come with a turbo. Does anyone know if that can be added to this vehicle with the modifications that have been made? How much difference would it make? Or...should I stick to my guns and keep looking for one with a turbo that's factory installed.

The other question I have is AC...my wife made a comment like, "if we're going to drive this in the summer, it better have AC," and my counter argument wasn't very convincing apparently (she likes the 300ZX models from the late 1980's better than the 240Z). Is it expensive to add AC....and turbo?....or should I just wait?

If you are looking for a turbo and AC, I'd look at a different car than this early Z. Anything can be added, but the cost and trouble to make a system work properly that did not come originally with the car, just isn't worth it unless you are really skilled in automotives or have a fat wallet.

The charm of the early Z IMO is that it is a basic sporty car. Dual carbs, roll down windows, no power steering, stick shift... If you (or your wife) want more of a sporty touring car with automatic, air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, power windows...I'd look at a different car.

Is it expensive to add AC....and turbo?....or should I just wait?

Can't address adding a turbo, but the A/C will run about $900-1,000 plus installation. In my opinion, worthwhile if you plan to keep the Z for a while. I've had A/C on mine since the 70s - actually, now on my 2nd unit with a modern rotary compressor rather than the old York unit I originally had added in '72.

Dennis

Dennis

Hey everyone--and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I took a look at this vehicle yesterday, and learned quite a bit. For starters, it was a total restoration--right down the the frame. He also replaced the fenders, hood, bumpers, and portions of the rear quarter panels with fiberglass when he put it back together to make it lighter. He guessed it weighed in at around 2000 pounds.

Altogether--the good: he worked awfully hard on this thing, and took photos along the way. The engine sounds great, and it was VERY sporty. He also has tons of spare parts...like the original auto tranny, a 4-speed, and 3 partial engines that would go with it...

The bad...there are a few items that need mending, and I'm not worried about those, but there were two issues that looked like they might be a problem. For starters, the right rear tire seemed to be way out of camber...it was leaning in (so top was in, bottom was out) a lot. And, it was just 1/4" away from the fender...even with the enlarged quarter panel. I didn't measure it, but it looked like maybe it was 5 degrees out? I asked him about it, and he said the tire was straight and he just didn't install the quarter panel correctly so it didn't look right. To me, something didn't fit. I looked again at the photos he sent (attached above) and you can't really see it as the pictures aren't "head on" from the rear.

The other concern is that the paint seemed to be cracking...large cracks...maybe parts of the body work were telegraphing through? He did the paint job himself and admitted it was his first one. I'd hate to have to take it down to metal again to get it to look right...

Finally...the tach doesn't work...some issue connecting it to the MSD Ignition...I'm guessing this is an easy fix?

Any thoughts--or other questions I should ask?

Also, thanks again for your comments so far as they've been very helpful. For me, this car was plenty fast--it really pushed you back into your seat, so I'm not worried about turbo...but the AC thing would be an option if I kept it long enough. That is assuming these other issues aren't fatal in some way and won't cost an arm and a leg to correct.

So....MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

Edited by z boy mn

Did you actually drive it or just listen to it rev up? Partial fiberglass rear quarter panels? Did he use fiberglass fenders and hood which would be ok, just not my cup of tea, might lead to future problems if not done correctly. I think I would walk away or offer $2K tops IMO.

I didn't drive it, he did (it's not registered or insured at the moment). The fenders and hood are fiberglass, but just the enlarged portions of the rear quarter panels are fiberglass. He's riveted the fender into the steel (you can see the rivets through the paint), and I almost wonder if the reason the tire is slated is so it fits under the fender...it's definitely too close now, and if you straightened out the tire, seems like it would be hitting for sure.

I took a look at this vehicle yesterday, and learned quite a bit. For starters, it was a total restoration--right down the the frame. He also replaced the fenders, hood, bumpers, and portions of the rear quarter panels with fiberglass when he put it back together to make it lighter. He guessed it weighed in at around 2000 pounds.

The fiberglass body parts saved him 50lbs., max. The car might weigh 2,250lbs.

Altogether--the good: he worked awfully hard on this thing, and took photos along the way. The engine sounds great, and it was VERY sporty. He also has tons of spare parts...like the original auto tranny, a 4-speed, and 3 partial engines that would go with it...

Parts are nice but they don't increase the value of the car you are buying.

The bad...there are a few items that need mending, and I'm not worried about those, but there were two issues that looked like they might be a problem. For starters, the right rear tire seemed to be way out of camber...it was leaning in (so top was in, bottom was out) a lot. And, it was just 1/4" away from the fender...even with the enlarged quarter panel. I didn't measure it, but it looked like maybe it was 5 degrees out? I asked him about it, and he said the tire was straight and he just didn't install the quarter panel correctly so it didn't look right. To me, something didn't fit. I looked again at the photos he sent (attached above) and you can't really see it as the pictures aren't "head on" from the rear.

Could be bent suspension or just crappy body work that requires a lot of camber for the tires to clear. The suspension isn't a big issue. Body work is.

The other concern is that the paint seemed to be cracking...large cracks...maybe parts of the body work were telegraphing through? He did the paint job himself and admitted it was his first one. I'd hate to have to take it down to metal again to get it to look right...

Sounds like the body work and paint is crap. It could also hide a lot of other issues.

Finally...the tach doesn't work...some issue connecting it to the MSD Ignition...I'm guessing this is an easy fix?

Minor issue.

Also, thanks again for your comments so far as they've been very helpful. For me, this car was plenty fast--it really pushed you back into your seat, so I'm not worried about turbo...but the AC thing would be an option if I kept it long enough. That is assuming these other issues aren't fatal in some way and won't cost an arm and a leg to correct.

AC is about $1,200 for a good Vintage Air kit. The car is a project as far as the body is concerned. Its only going to look worse over time until you address it. IMHO, $3,000 is a reasonable price for the car.

I dunno, sounds like some future major body and suspension work to me. If you like the car and can get for a decent price and are willing to tackle the issues with it go ahead. Enjoy it if you get it, they are fun, frustrating at times but fun.