Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Article: Our Mobile App

Besides all the apps, how do you mount the device in your S30? We need some good designs.
[arne's-personal-rant]Do a favor for everyone you share the road with - when driving, concentrate on driving. Leave the phone in your pocket, or even better, turn it off. No need for distractions like a smartphone staring you in the face while driving.[/rant] Edited by Arne

That's a good point, and I've seen some people mount their phone/device in just such a way. You can also say that about the radio, gauges, passenger, hot coffee, cigarette, etc. Whatever can draw your gaze from the roadway. That's the problem, to mount your device so you can see the road, have it close enough to view the screen when necessary (such as for navigation) and not obscure the gauges. The newer cars have the room, but the S30 isn't so.

I don't worry about phone calls, because my device isn't a phone.

Edited by TomoHawk

I don't like navigation, either. In the old days, people figured out where they were going before they left. I don't want an electronic nanny guiding me around.

And I may be one of the few people who don't care if my vehicle has cupholders. Perhaps that's one reason I have preferred German cars - they get it, cars are for driving. They resisted cupholders until the 'Muricuns screamed horribly.

Just my opinion, I don't expect other people to share it. Indeed, judging by the numbers of people I see doing all manner of things while driving, most don't.

I use paper notes for a short trip, but when going to a strange place, I might use the computer. It takes a bit to get used to- how far in advance you get announcements, what they mean ('slight right' might mean the exit ramp on the highway or a fork in the road) the intervals they come in, and so forth, but you can get used to it so you can use it productively. Maybe you see it as an 'electronic nanny' but it can be the other way too, and your passenger giving you directions can be just as annoying when they tell you "I KNOW how get there!" or when they insist on taking the infamous 'shortcut.'

In a like manner, I know of a few people who prefer not to use computer & Internet to learn how to repair things on the car. They would rather bug the mechanic to tell them how.

The only time I care to have a upholder is when I stop at the McDonald's to bring a burger meal home. the drink goes in the ashtray and you drive smoothly home.

To each his own, huh?

Edited by TomoHawk

There are other uses for a small personal computer in your vehicle.

Besides navigation, you can log your stops/miles/fuel, track your budget and expenses (for work trips,) track your driving (if you're just driving around) playing music, basic photography, and many other non-navigational things. Some can be done on paper, some not, and depending on the program, the records can have more details than you can do on a simple page of paper.

Edited by TomoHawk

There are other uses for a small personal computer in your vehicle.

Let's not forget about using it to watch the morning news live feed or to read the morning headlines on-line while driving to work drinking a cup of hot coffee and eating a doughnut. Hopefully, there's some truth to that "Survival of the fittest" theory.

Dennis

Also, shaving or putting on makeup while driving at 20+ MPH over the speed limit, but that's the kind of behaviour we want to avoid. If you need to watch/read the news or weather, why not just get out of bed 10 minutes earlier, so you can even get to work on-time?

the overall problem is that so many people are so addicted to tech and gadgets that they just can't put the stuff away even to make the 20-minute drive to work. It's such a problem that some cities have passed laws fining you for making phone calls or reading/creating SMS messages while driving.

Edited by TomoHawk

If you don't know where you are going to start with...Why are you even going? That is just poor planing.

"We're lost, but making good time." Yogi Bera

Bonzi Lon

FWIW-

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in an S30 even using a cell phone, as if they understand you need both hands for driving. It seems to be something you see happpening inside a 300ZX or 350Z :tapemouth

So anyway-

With the CZCC smartphone application, you can read and post stuff while you are drinking your hot coffee and eating your donut, driving at 20+MPH over the speed limit on the way to work? LOL;)

Hopefully not. Do this during your coffee break or lunch break.

Edited by TomoHawk

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in an S30 even using a cell phone, as if they understand you need both hands for driving.

The Alpine in my Z has Bluetooth. In fact, I've got Bluetooth in all 5 of my cars. I can answer phone calls, stream music and now, thanks to Siri, hear and dictate text messages. The technology has become safer.

Yea, the Droid logo is supposed to be chopped off, it's a "design" thing... ha.. I'm actually bugging someone (who is a professional architect designer) to help me with the logo redesign. That will be coming in the next version. I have to sweet talk her into finishing it for me sooner... :)

iPhone/iPad update.... the first version I submitted was declined due to a "non standard API call" So, yesterday I recompiled the app and resubmitted it to them. I had no idea Apple would be so anal about an API, but, this is APPLE after all. Anyway, it should be done soon, sorry about the delay. Posting this update in the forum.

I think "Classic Z Car Club" would be a safe bet.

One of my peeves about Apple is that the App Catalog does not search descriptions. Only title and author. Its impossible to find what you want, unless you know its name. Try searching for 'word processor'. One lil text editor will come up. If you dont know the name is Smart Office you are SOL. So much noise, very poorly organized.

Yea, the Droid logo is supposed to be chopped off, it's a "design" thing... ha.. I'm actually bugging someone (who is a professional architect designer) to help me with the logo redesign. That will be coming in the next version. I have to sweet talk her into finishing it for me sooner... :)

BTW, great job on this!

Hey Mike,

This is a great thing and something I could never do. However, I don't want to complain but it doesn't work well on the Ipad. It is sized for the smaller format like the iphone and ends up being a small window on the Ipad. When you enlarge it, you lose definition and it becomes pixelated. Keep up the good work!!!! :)

Carl

Hey Mike,

This is a great thing and something I could never do. However, I don't want to complain but it doesn't work well on the Ipad. It is sized for the smaller format like the iphone and ends up being a small window on the Ipad. When you enlarge it, you lose definition and it becomes pixelated. Keep up the good work!!!! :)

Carl

Hi Carl, yes this is expected behavior, it should not affect the functionality of the app by using the iPad. The app was written to support native iPhone resolution. I am working on a native iPad app next. Because the resolution is higher on the iPad, there is a different set of code that has to be written, graphics, and icons. It's coming, don't worry.. :)

I haven't been able to find the mobile app in the iTunes istore, has it disappeared or been renamed?