IGNORED

Suggest a cheap, quiet, fuel pump for my triples.

cygnusx1

I just re-plumbed most of my fuel system including a replacement for the stock electric pump. My car is a 260Z with triple webers. I removed the old mechanical pump and just use the electric. I went with a Facet FEP 59SV which I bought new on eBay for about $90. I rewired it so it runs anytime the starter is in the on position so I can prime the webers if they have been sitting for a while. I also added an inertia switch to the circuit which will cut off power to the pump in case of an impact. The pump can be heard while in the on position but before the car is started. Once started you cannot hear it at all.

It is capable of 6.5 - 8 PSI and 32 GPH which is more than sufficient for my setup. Also it directly bolts into the same OEM bracket that came with the car so the install was pretty easy. Also use a Summit Racing FPR to get a steady 3 PSI at idle.

So far I am very pleased with this setup and have had no trouble at all.

Mike.

I just re-plumbed most of my fuel system including a replacement for the stock electric pump. My car is a 260Z with triple webers. I removed the old mechanical pump and just use the electric. I went with a Facet FEP 59SV which I bought new on eBay for about $90. I rewired it so it runs anytime the starter is in the on position so I can prime the webers if they have been sitting for a while. I also added an inertia switch to the circuit which will cut off power to the pump in case of an impact. The pump can be heard while in the on position but before the car is started. Once started you cannot hear it at all.

It is capable of 6.5 - 8 PSI and 32 GPH which is more than sufficient for my setup. Also it directly bolts into the same OEM bracket that came with the car so the install was pretty easy. Also use a Summit Racing FPR to get a steady 3 PSI at idle.

So far I am very pleased with this setup and have had no trouble at all.

Mike.

Mike,

I plan on doing exactly what you have. What circuit did you pull power from?

Thanks

Dean

Dean,

LeonV is essentially correct but it was easier said than done.

The pump change was a part of a bigger fuel distribution upgrade I completed in the engine compartment to replace my old worn out rubber fuel lines with SS braided lines. I was also new to AN plumbing and so had a lot of basics to learn about that as well.

As far as the power to the fuel pump I ended up locating the original wire used to power the OEM pump and used that for power from the rewired circuit. It turns out that the original OEM setup used 2 relays on the 260 to power the pump. I believe that one relay turned on when the car was in the on position and the other relay turned on at approx 600 RPMs. When both of those conditions were met, the pump received power.

I located the relays, which are on the passenger side of the car above the fuse box. I had to remove the fuse box and most of the large harness connectors to get to these and it was a real PITA. However, this allowed me to locate the power wire going back to the pump as well as switched power from the ignition switch. I used these and added the inertia switch into the circuit to power the new pump. I also unplugged the old relays so they were no longer in the circuit. A little complicated but I hope that makes sense. Finally I mounted the inertia switch in the glove box so I have easy access to it in case of a false trip.

I did a lengthy write up on this complete install which you can find here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?43489-Braided-SS-fuel-lines&

It includes a complete parts list as well as diagrams to show what I did.

Hope that helps. Very happy with the install so far.

Mike.

Thanks guys, I went to check out my Holley Red, and it was leaking fuel from the casing. Rather than try to fix it, I ordered the Facet FEP59SV. It looks like it will work with the bracket I fabricated for the Holley, and it has a built in fuel strainer. I already have an inertia switch to install.

Mike, did you add a check valve to the pumps output?

http://www.octaneautosupply.com/Engine-Management-Exhaust/Air-Intake-Fuel-Delivery/Fuel-Pumps/Facet-Purolator-FEP59SV-p5936799.html

Edited by cygnusx1

32 gph?? The Holley Red does 67 and my Mallory is 110. Not sure what the Nissan pumps flowed at but those were not connected to a set of triple carbs. I could see issues with WOT going uphill using that Facet. I could be wrong but for less than $100. you can a touch more flow going to your carbs when you most need it.

Please post results of the Facet pump under heavy usage.

I used a Facet for a little while on my car after my Carter pump failed and I managed to limp to an auto parts store. Facets are very quiet, but they are supposed to be pretty notorious for failling. That Carter ran deadheaded for years, and I got it with the Mikunis that I bought from a guy who had probably run it for years before I got it. The Carter was louder than the facet, but I understand the Holley is on a whole new level...

Here is a link to the Carter on Summit, according to the rumors around these parts, it supposedly is a lot more reliable than a Facet:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P4070/

I cannot comment on the long term reliability of the Facet pump as I have only had it installed for about 2-3 months. So far I have had no issues with it but I only have a short time with it so far. I will try to keep folks posted as I put more time on the pump.

As far as a check valve is concerned, I did not install one in my particular case. I can definitely see that the inclusion of one would help to keep the pressure up in the fuel system when the car is off and so this might be a good thing to consider as an enhancement to the system I have today.

Also as far as overall pump output is concerned I can't imagine burning 32 gallons in one hour even at WOT with triples. I can definitely see a spike in fuel demand at WOT for a short burst of time and under extreme conditions this output might not be sufficient, but for the type of driving that is typical of my own profile, I do not see that this would be a problem. Perhaps for other driving scenarios the 32 GPH may not be sufficient (ie racing) but for my particular scenario I do not see it as a problem. Having said that, as I put more time and stress on this system I will report on any deficiencies that I might encounter.

Mike.