Sign in to follow this  
LeonV

S30 Steering wheel discussion

Admin Edit - Split this discussion off out of a different thread.

Also, my hub adapter finally came in so I can finally mount my Momo.

Edited by Arne

You're going to love the Momo - much better feel - the stock steering wheel is just too thin!

Does the Momo with the adaptor ove the steering wheel further away from the driver?

You're going to love the Momo - much better feel - the stock steering wheel is just too thin!

Agreed' date=' that's why I got the wheel! Plus it makes ingress and egress easier, as I'm 6'2".

Does the Momo with the adaptor ove the steering wheel further away from the driver?

I searched that very question for days, because I didn't want the wheel any closer to me. I didn't really find any quantitative facts on the topic. I decided to just get the Momo and work with it. The stock wheel has a large dish to it and the Momo I got is fairly flat. I can measure the difference in distance when the Z comes back from the exhaust shop.

I searched that very question for days, because I didn't want the wheel any closer to me. I didn't really find any quantitative facts on the topic. I decided to just get the Momo and work with it. The stock wheel has a large dish to it and the Momo I got is fairly flat. I can measure the difference in distance when the Z comes back from the exhaust shop.

Cool! Take some measurements and let us know the difference.....plus some pics would be cool!!

I did not notice the placement of the wheel closer or further away from me - the diameter is much less so therefore you would have more room to come in and get out. The actual grip is 10 fold better - I still have my original wheel and will not sell it but the Momo will stay on the car. I had been looking for a Compe wheel and gave up due to the fact that I did not want to get one from Japan and I really hated to spend the $600 on the steering wheel. The Momo Competition is super comfortable and is more than 1/3 the price as the one currently on e-Bay for $655.00!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-COMPE-steering-wheel-Brand-New-240z-280z-510-/300591445163?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fca574ab

Wow, I don't think I could ever justify paying that much for a steering wheel, but I guess to each his own! It looks like the Momo Comp is the same as the Race that I got except for spoke color, good to hear that placement isn't affected much. I'll take some pics and measurements soon enough!

I did not notice the placement of the wheel closer or further away from me - the diameter is much less so therefore you would have more room to come in and get out. The actual grip is 10 fold better - I still have my original wheel and will not sell it but the Momo will stay on the car. I had been looking for a Compe wheel and gave up due to the fact that I did not want to get one from Japan and I really hated to spend the $600 on the steering wheel. The Momo Competition is super comfortable and is more than 1/3 the price as the one currently on e-Bay for $655.00!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSU...item45fca574ab

I have a slight issue with this eBay posting. I, too, saw this eBay listing and was attracted to it. I have a Datsun Compe Steering wheel on my Z now, but wanted a spare. I saw this listing and thought, "Boy, this would be a great chance to purchase this super rare steering wheel." However, I browse Yahoo! Japan Auctions quite a bit and found that there are three types of Datsun Compe Steerings wheels listed. The original, the 10th Anniversary NISMO Edition, and recently a replica steering wheel made by "G-WORKS". The original steering wheel in NOS condition has gone for more than $800 USD, and the 10th Anniversary NISMO Edition auctions usually end at around $600+ USD. The newly created replica has gone for around 31,000 Yen (around $400 USD).

Then I saw this eBay listing from Datsun Spirit Inc. I thought immediately to myself, there could be no way this is an original NOS steering wheel (he has two listed for sale). I e-mailed the seller of the TWO steering wheels and asked if they were "the original 70's NOS piece or the 10th Anniversary edition." I received a reply that only stated "not the 70s wheel." No mention in regards to if they are the 10th Anniv. Edition or not.

From observation of the many 10th Anniversary NISMO Editions on sale through Yahoo! Auctions Japan, I noticed almost 95% of them included the original NISMO box. This may be because when they came out in 1996 (date?), Nissan fans bought them all up, and never really put them on.

In the picture of the eBay listing you can see some plastic wrapping, but no box. I recall seeing this wrapping in pictures of the replica steering wheel. I e-mailed the seller again, with a reply that there is no box available.

TWO "NOS" 10th Anniv. Steering wheels, with no original NISMO box. The chances of a collector storing these wheels, never using them, but oddly deciding to throw the box away, IMHO, is not likely. Also, eBay's description of "Condition: NEW," which this seller has listed the item as, is "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details..."

I believe these are infact the replica $400 USD wheels on sale for $680 shipped through eBay. I may be wrong, but Datsun Spirit has been in the grey area of CZCC lately after posting non-matching headlight covers, without disclosing. I am not judging whether the sale is "fair" or not, but I definitely think it should disclosed if they are replicas. If Datsun Spirit wants to chime in and state they are guarenteed 10th Anniv. ORIGINAL Nissan parts, I will gladly eat my words :)

SEE THE REPLICAS HERE: http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t214717028

Edited by spitz17

Is the entire wheel different from the factory one? Just wondering because I've seen guys around here do leather wraps to Z cars (newer ones) and was trying to figure out if wrapping a stock wheel with leather and other materials to beef up the size would give that comp look.

I have a momo hub adaptor, worksbell spacer with a nardi 350mm deep corn steering wheel. The wheel sits a lot closer than before, I had to recline my seat back.

I am in the process of building a jig to make a wooden steering wheel on the S30 base frame.

I am using the following links as my guide. When I am done, I should be able to re-create these for others if there is any interest.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/93.cfm

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1257704

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/accessories/at119a.htm#top

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/magazine/articles/Vehicle-Insider/Steering-Wheel

One more notation - check this out on the COMPE steering wheel

http://s30zed.blogspot.com/2011/07/datsun-competition-steering-wheel.html

This is actually my blog haha. I am in the midst of getting in contact with G-Works Japan, who makes the Replica Steering Wheels. It is a completely different wheel, but does have the same textures and offset as the factory Comp Wheel. The replica wheel includes new pins as well! Some dealers on Yahoo! Japan Auctions sell it with the factory horn, some do not. I'll keep everyone up to date on this, as there may be a group buy up on Hybrid Z sometime soon! :)

Very impressive! I'm a fan of the original steering wheel, and on long trips use my old MG driving gloves to improve my grip. Makes a huge difference!

Have thought about doing a leather wrap toa spare wheel rather than refinish it, but maybe a custom rim would be a good Winter project... Have to think on that one.

Have to agree with Julio on this one, I love the thin stock wheel. On long drives the fat wheels make my knuckles hurt. When I refinished the wheel on a friends car we added shark skin to the varnish on the underside of the wheel and that gives you excellent grip when you need it and allows you to let the wheel slide through your fingers coming out of turns. Also, I have never been a fan of the rubberized wheels, they get sticky and nasty over time and are hard to keep clean.

I find the stock wheel, being wider, makes steering much easier with the 9 inch wide front wheels I have on, over my aftermarket Nardi wheel.

Also, being a tall fat bloke, the extra gubbings to allow me to attach the Nardi bring it very close to me when driving, even with the seat back. Saying that, I can occasionally get leg rub with the extra width of the original wheel.

Each to their own though on this one I guess!

I installed a Racemark sterring wheel back in the late 70's,and I loved it. My hangout was the Miller and Norburn shop in Durham,NC. They were one the best BMW racing teams going on SCCA circuit. App 2002 I picked up MOMO COMP from Motorsport Auto and will never go back to the original steering wheel. BETTER GRIP. Everyone asked about the MOMO when they get behind the wheel.

Did a test fit of the MOMO and it is perfect! I really like the better, thicker grip as well as the size. It allows easier entry and exit and it also quickens the effective steering ratio (not actual steering ratio, which is degrees @ steering wheel / degrees @ road wheel). Less arm movement is required per degree of wheel turns, and while there is an increase in effort, it is only a 9% difference going to a 350mm (13.78") wheel from stock (15"). This means that if a certain turn required say 30lb of force, it now requires 32.7lb of force, which I don't mind at all.

Tomorrow, I should have some time to take measurements and pictures!

Are there steering wheels from other cars that bolt right onto the Z?

I was walking around a boneyard the other day and was thinking about other steering wheels, but the problem is that it's a pain to go through all the effort to start pulling wheels only to find that they don't fit anyway.

I've got an OEM rubber steering wheel that needs help and I pulled it off to get a good look at the mounting splines. I found that there are 36 spline points on the steering column and I measured the OD of the splines on the column to be 0.688.

Is there a website that lists the spline specs of various vehicles?

Got some distance measurements tonight comparing how far a MOMO Race extends toward the driver versus a stock 240Z steering wheel.

From the bottom of the hub to the face of the wheel, stock measures at 12cm. Measuring from the dash (spot between the tach and speedo) to the face of the wheel, stock measures at 20cm. The MOMO measurements cam out essentially the same! I'm definitely glad that the wheel did not get any closer to me. Keep in mind that the MOMO Race that I'm using has a relatively small dish, which I didn't measure but it's maybe an inch.

I'll get pictures soon, I've been really busy lately.

Julio,

You could probably do a real nice leather wrap IF the steering wheel grip is nice and firm. The steering wheel that I am doing in wood was suffering from the heat down here in Tx - it looked like a melted candle! I stripped off the grip down to the steel core and had it powder-coated chassis black. Now I am working on the oak blanks.

The extra wheel I have is in decent condition, but needs complete refinishing. Of course, before I can consider working on that, I need to finish re-doing my next door neighbor lady's 72' 240... It comes out of the paint shop in September.

I replaced mine w/ a momo and love it. Thou the stock wheel is easier to use the momo does give a better response but is heavier to use. I have to admit the stock wheel is better looking and requires less force. To each thier own.

I made my first long trip in the Z this weekend! Went from San Bruno to Citrus Heights and back (232+ mile round trip). The Momo felt great, I really like the material. I will say that low-speed effort has definitely increased, but I really like the feel and quickness at higher speeds.