IGNORED

S30 Steering wheel discussion

LeonV

I am in the process of building a jig to make a wooden steering wheel on the S30 base frame.

I am using the following links as my guide. When I am done, I should be able to re-create these for others if there is any interest.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/93.cfm

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1257704

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/accessories/at119a.htm#top

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/magazine/articles/Vehicle-Insider/Steering-Wheel

One more notation - check this out on the COMPE steering wheel

http://s30zed.blogspot.com/2011/07/datsun-competition-steering-wheel.html

This is actually my blog haha. I am in the midst of getting in contact with G-Works Japan, who makes the Replica Steering Wheels. It is a completely different wheel, but does have the same textures and offset as the factory Comp Wheel. The replica wheel includes new pins as well! Some dealers on Yahoo! Japan Auctions sell it with the factory horn, some do not. I'll keep everyone up to date on this, as there may be a group buy up on Hybrid Z sometime soon! :)

Very impressive! I'm a fan of the original steering wheel, and on long trips use my old MG driving gloves to improve my grip. Makes a huge difference!

Have thought about doing a leather wrap toa spare wheel rather than refinish it, but maybe a custom rim would be a good Winter project... Have to think on that one.

Have to agree with Julio on this one, I love the thin stock wheel. On long drives the fat wheels make my knuckles hurt. When I refinished the wheel on a friends car we added shark skin to the varnish on the underside of the wheel and that gives you excellent grip when you need it and allows you to let the wheel slide through your fingers coming out of turns. Also, I have never been a fan of the rubberized wheels, they get sticky and nasty over time and are hard to keep clean.

I find the stock wheel, being wider, makes steering much easier with the 9 inch wide front wheels I have on, over my aftermarket Nardi wheel.

Also, being a tall fat bloke, the extra gubbings to allow me to attach the Nardi bring it very close to me when driving, even with the seat back. Saying that, I can occasionally get leg rub with the extra width of the original wheel.

Each to their own though on this one I guess!

I installed a Racemark sterring wheel back in the late 70's,and I loved it. My hangout was the Miller and Norburn shop in Durham,NC. They were one the best BMW racing teams going on SCCA circuit. App 2002 I picked up MOMO COMP from Motorsport Auto and will never go back to the original steering wheel. BETTER GRIP. Everyone asked about the MOMO when they get behind the wheel.

Did a test fit of the MOMO and it is perfect! I really like the better, thicker grip as well as the size. It allows easier entry and exit and it also quickens the effective steering ratio (not actual steering ratio, which is degrees @ steering wheel / degrees @ road wheel). Less arm movement is required per degree of wheel turns, and while there is an increase in effort, it is only a 9% difference going to a 350mm (13.78") wheel from stock (15"). This means that if a certain turn required say 30lb of force, it now requires 32.7lb of force, which I don't mind at all.

Tomorrow, I should have some time to take measurements and pictures!

Are there steering wheels from other cars that bolt right onto the Z?

I was walking around a boneyard the other day and was thinking about other steering wheels, but the problem is that it's a pain to go through all the effort to start pulling wheels only to find that they don't fit anyway.

I've got an OEM rubber steering wheel that needs help and I pulled it off to get a good look at the mounting splines. I found that there are 36 spline points on the steering column and I measured the OD of the splines on the column to be 0.688.

Is there a website that lists the spline specs of various vehicles?

Got some distance measurements tonight comparing how far a MOMO Race extends toward the driver versus a stock 240Z steering wheel.

From the bottom of the hub to the face of the wheel, stock measures at 12cm. Measuring from the dash (spot between the tach and speedo) to the face of the wheel, stock measures at 20cm. The MOMO measurements cam out essentially the same! I'm definitely glad that the wheel did not get any closer to me. Keep in mind that the MOMO Race that I'm using has a relatively small dish, which I didn't measure but it's maybe an inch.

I'll get pictures soon, I've been really busy lately.

Julio,

You could probably do a real nice leather wrap IF the steering wheel grip is nice and firm. The steering wheel that I am doing in wood was suffering from the heat down here in Tx - it looked like a melted candle! I stripped off the grip down to the steel core and had it powder-coated chassis black. Now I am working on the oak blanks.

The extra wheel I have is in decent condition, but needs complete refinishing. Of course, before I can consider working on that, I need to finish re-doing my next door neighbor lady's 72' 240... It comes out of the paint shop in September.

I replaced mine w/ a momo and love it. Thou the stock wheel is easier to use the momo does give a better response but is heavier to use. I have to admit the stock wheel is better looking and requires less force. To each thier own.