IGNORED

Rear wheel bearings and seals

Ben's Z

I was looking at rockauto.com. I didn't see any outer rear wheel seals. I am painting all my chassis and wanted to do my bearings and seals while I had it all out. There are outer rear wheel seals right? I am on the road and can't look at my parts right now.

Actually, the outer bearing is not technically a sealed bearing. A sealed bearing is sealed on both sides and comes pre-lubed. Sorry to appear to be a know-it-all. The outer bearing is sealed on one side and still must be filled with greased prior to installation.

• 2 years later...

Giving this excellent thread a bump from several years ago.

Where are you guys getting rear bearings? Between MSA, RockAuto and Amazon, it doesn't seem that they can be had for less than $90 per side (except RockAuto's BeckArnley which are so much less expensive it makes me nervous) :ermm:

I have just the rears (Timken brand) in my cart at RockAuto: $189.39 + shipping :(

The fronts are super cheap by comparison, less than $5 bucks apiece so the fronts only add about $20 to the grand total.

MSA sells Koyo brand bearings for almost exactly the same price, minus about $20 for our club discount; they have seals as well for $7 each, which RockAuto doesn't seem to carry.

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I checked out your blog from your signature - good write ups in there!

Edited by bacarl