IGNORED

Pricing 240z Rally Clock w/ Fully Functioning Oscillator?

dhp123166

$1,133 was the magic number. i could call the buyer stupid for sure.

Why? It took more than one person to drive the auction up to the final price. The underbidder was only a few Dollars short. That $US price converts to something perhaps a little more reasonable in other currencies, and if you convert it into JPY you get a little over 90,000 Yen. They tend to change hands for more than that in Japan.....

If you can find a regular supply of good, working 'Rally' clock and Oscillator sets for a lot less than the finishing price of this auction, then you can make a nice little business for yourself can't you?

I totally agree with theguppies - this is a total waste IMO - I know the clock is rare but how could any of us justify spending over $1000 on a clock - maybe a Rolex but not for a car by any stretch.

Whats your thoughts on spending $1000 of your money on a clock for your car?

I totally agree with theguppies - this is a total waste IMO - I know the clock is rare but how could any of us justify spending over $1000 on a clock - maybe a Rolex but not for a car by any stretch.

Whats your thoughts on spending $1000 of your money on a clock for your car?

A $1,000 clock is probably no more a case of "wasted money" than a $10,000 paint job, IMHO. At least with the clock you know what time it is ;)

BTW, let me know where to find that $1000 Rolex you mentioned. I paid 4K for mine. Sometimes we all spend waaaay too much for silly things that make us feel good.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

It won't be, not for long. After seeing the price that one pulled, they will all come out of the cupboards and closets for a while, and the excess supply will bring the price down. This happened with D hubcaps last time a set pulled $1200 - there were so many available for a while that the price for really nice sets dropped to around $500.

• 4 years later...
10 hours ago, d3c0y said:

Epic thread dig i know... BUT i read this thread recently and then went about actually getting it done!

Here is the long awaited modern replacement to the oscillator box for the 240Z rally clock. The clock has exactly the same movement as the stock setup.

This circuit completely replaces your old oscillator box and is driven by a super accurate microprocessor, instead of a tuning fork. We have a full working example after reverse engineering my own rally clock. It now keeps time more precisely than the factory unit and will be very reliable, with no moving components. We have also located a plug that will be compatible with the OEM harness for people wanting a plug in solution.

You can see from the pictures that you can actually mount this PCB inside the clock it is so small.

If you are interested, we are happy to supply just the circuit or an installed board depending on what you want. If you want a metal box from jaycar we can do that, or post us your original oscillator box and we can convert it. Let me know what you want!

First run will be about 10 units so get in quick!

PCB cost is $99AUD each which is 1/4 of the price of the actual oscillator box which may not work!

https://youtu.be/FXkWDCBmsII

https://youtu.be/hwJEogI84pw

13120856_10154795074486679_1809627293_o.jpg

12895317_10154711619121679_603935206_n (1).png

13169827_10154816323611679_1066525675_o.jpg

13351192_10154887062391679_719574784_o.jpg

A very professional job. I am interested. Do you need the unit that is to be changed over or do you send the internal components for a do it yourself installation? Please respond with details at edtwomuchz@mail.com

Well, I can send you just that purple PCB and a link for the connector which is probably the most cost effective way since you are in the US. You can put it in your own box or stick it in the clock as i did. You just need to solder a few wires, its very easy and comes with instructions. If that is a bit tough, we can send it to you in a box with a connector ready to go for a bit more money if that's what you would prefer.

On June 4, 2016 at 10:08 PM, d3c0y said:

Epic thread dig i know... BUT i read this thread recently and then went about actually getting it done!

Here is the long awaited modern replacement to the oscillator box for the 240Z rally clock. The clock has exactly the same movement as the stock setup.

This circuit completely replaces your old oscillator box and is driven by a super accurate microprocessor, instead of a tuning fork. We have a full working example after reverse engineering my own rally clock. It now keeps time more precisely than the factory unit and will be very reliable, with no moving components. We have also located a plug that will be compatible with the OEM harness for people wanting a plug in solution.

You can see from the pictures that you can actually mount this PCB inside the clock it is so small.

If you are interested, we are happy to supply just the circuit or an installed board depending on what you want. If you want a metal box from jaycar we can do that, or post us your original oscillator box and we can convert it. Let me know what you want!

First run will be about 10 units so get in quick!

PCB cost is $99AUD each which is 1/4 of the price of the actual oscillator box which may not work!

https://youtu.be/FXkWDCBmsII

https://youtu.be/hwJEogI84pw

13120856_10154795074486679_1809627293_o.jpg

12895317_10154711619121679_603935206_n (1).png

13169827_10154816323611679_1066525675_o.jpg

13351192_10154887062391679_719574784_o.jpg

9 hours ago, d3c0y said:

Well, I can send you just that purple PCB and a link for the connector which is probably the most cost effective way since you are in the US. You can put it in your own box or stick it in the clock as i did. You just need to solder a few wires, its very easy and comes with instructions. If that is a bit tough, we can send it to you in a box with a connector ready to go for a bit more money if that's what you would prefer.

Great work!  I have A few questions. Did you test the oscillator

on more than 1 clock? Is anything adjustable on the oscillator? 

Do you have pics of jcar's box?

Unfortunately I only have one, so that is the only one that has been tested on. But due to the design these are largely self rectifying and it should be fine. You can see we leave the programming pins on the board so if you need it adjusted we can tweak it or you can if you have a programmer but we dont feel it will be needed.

Jaycar boxes are just generic box mounts:  http://www.jaycar.co...tal-Boxes/c/231 I'm sure you could pick something up in the US and avoid the postage on it.

• Like 1