IGNORED

Why does the 260z get a bad rap.

Hunter260Z

I have owned an early 260Z that had been converted to round top carbs and I presently own a 240Z. IMHO, the original 240Z is the true Z that is one of the most significant cars in automotive history. Many of the most significant changes going from the 240Z to the 260Z were to comply with Federal emissions and bumper and door stiffness requirements. These changes were NOT improvements IMHO. To me, the bumper changes alone were a complete destruction of the orginal lines and looked like crap. (This was not the only car that went through such a federally-mandated revision, hence, the rubber bumpers on the '74 MGB, which also looked like sh_t.)

Few changes to the 240 were actual improvements. I don't like the crappy steering wheel on the 260 (which eventually deteriorates in the sun and falls apart) and the interior was not all that significantly different.

The 280Z got fuel injection and a 5 speed, which were big improvements, but the 280 was heavier, but all in all, a good ride. Now don't get me wrong. I loved my 260Z and as I mentioned it had round top SU's. I also swapped the front bumper for a 240 Z "Euro" bumper and the car looked pretty good. But the 240Z is what the designers intended. All other Z's are just bastardized 240's. Still good, but not AS good.

Edited by coopdog240

Wow...."Bastardized"? That's putting it harshly. Though I agree that the 240 was what Nissan originally intended before all the regulations, her sister models are true Z-cars as well. Things change weather it's from the manufactuer or government. Evolution in the auto world is a constant.

But the 240Z is what the designers intended. All other Z's are just bastardized 240's. Still good, but not AS good.

Hmmmm... Well, I suppose Homo is just a bastardized form of Australopithecus.

The market wanted a car with a better ride, and thus the 240 evolved into other forms. I suppose that could be called "market selection," or at least that's what I think Darwin would have called it if he were an economist. ;) This evolution is not a good thing if you're after a lean, mean track machine, but if what you want is a daily driver GT sort of car, the 280 is probably a better fit. At least that's why *I* own a 280 and not a 240.

Edited by FastWoman

I was lucky enough to find an early 260 and although i have not driven it yet, I am sure I will enjoy it, never had a Z before so I rather not venture into any opinions! Car was a barn find along with an excellent price, that so far makes me really happy!

I have an early 260Z with a triple carb'd L24 (PO swapped the block in), late ZX 5-speed, 3.9 R200, freshly rebuilt suspension, a complete interior plus roll bar with Panasports ready to install. It is a really fun car and feels just like a Z should. I don't see or feel any inferiority compared to my '71 240Z, except that every time I tell someone it's a 260Z they tend to either look confused or almost somewhat disappointed. Usually if a passer-by says "nice 240" or "sweet 280" I just go with it.

Some parts are different from the 240Z and 280Z, but it can be fun (and frustrating) to own a quirky one-year-only model.

It was not the 260z's fault it gets a bad rep, it is the product of environmental regulations. It was all the emission regulations (carbs) that off set power, even though the engine was bigger. Then they introduced fuel injection... and larger bumpers to weigh it down. Maybe that is why they only made it for one year before putting an even larger engine in it. I know that 260z's were made for a few years in other countries, maybe because they didn't have environmental restrictions (euro balance tube?).

As long as one swaps out the flat tops for the round SU's and the large bumpers if it has any, one will surely enjoy more power etc. 260z's might seem to get a bad rep, but so do 2+2's and even automatic 240z's. Sometimes even a stock 240z is not enough for some people. So do not feel bad, 260z's are underrated and will make a good collectible car one day I am sure.

In the end we're all a little biased based on what we own.....And that's OK. before I knew anything about Zs I bought my 280 because of the fuel injection. Perhaps these days I would've looked for a 240 based on its popularity among purists and its special place in the automotive world.

However, I'm quite happy with my 280 after 14 years of ownership. In the grand scheme of things it's more important how YOU connect with a car as opposed to the rest of the world......And I have a strong connection with mine even though it's not a 240.

So, 260 owners (especially): How will YOU connect with your Z? I don't know about the rest of you but market value, pedigree, and purist beliefs are second to the enjoyment I get from a car.