IGNORED

Brakes: Restored! Not just rebuilt...

conedodger

I just want to go on record as saluting you for 'doing it right'. I am still an old fashioned believer that you get what you pay for. I think the price conedodger paid is actually quite good for that type of labor and service. I think the results speak for them self.

When it comes time to rebuild my calipers, they will be coming your say sir...Some things are worth the money, and brakes are generally for me a no expense spared part.

I will talk to Eric about redoing it as an article if there isn't a process to just make this thread the article. He is usually pretty busy during the week though...

An admin should be able to turn any thread or post into an article or blog in the Vbulletin suite

Eric feels that brakes are best kept matched. This retains the balance the factory engineers intended. The fronts are now on the car loaded with Porterfield R4S pads. R4S shoes are also available for our cars and Eric sent them to me as well... He is a Porterfield dealer by the way. Tomorrow I am busy putting the engine and transmission back into my 911 but Friday I expect I can get the drums turned and shoes arced and installed.

I will be talking to someone I know who does a good deal of retro-manufacturing about making Z car drums by the way... I know the ITS and other Vintage guys need them and those of us who don't want to modify will want them as well.

Hey guys, thanks for all the positive comments.

How did you get the zinc plating to look so golden and shiny?

That's basic "yellow" zinc as they call it in that industry. There is; yellow, clear (silver) and black as the three most common. Most of our fasteners are done in black but these were yellow. Sheen is determined by many things, metal prep and how long they're left in the dichromate (which is the final stage that makes them yellow in appearance). The metal on these calipers was very good hence the finish we got on them. Check out the last few style shots I took for the web. Rob is right, they look even better in person.

Westpak - Thanks. Again, as I mentioned in the first post, it really isn't too much different than a standard rebuild. I really want to encourage people to get to know their local platers though. Be careful though... vintage car guys going to a metal plater can be detrimental to your marriage and your bank account! ;)

Adam - You are forgiven. There's still time. :D

About Porterfields. I'm a big fan and have them on all my P-Cars, even the Pig (AKA Cayenne). Here's my take on those... there are $25.00 pads and $125 pads, the Porterfields act like the $125 pads for about 1/2 the price. I like the R4-S (as in street/autocross) compound as they modulate like a dream and are extremely quiet if bedded properly.

Here's some info on the compound:

http://porterfield-brakes.com/images/portstrt2008_11_06_02_45_30.pdf

Fronts are AP114.

Rears are Shoe411.

Hurtful...

Bandit's hurtful gestures aside, I did get some work done today. Almost ready to reinstall the intake and exhaust. Newly rebuilt Webers, a mechanical fuel pump to help out that tiny e-pump the previous owner was using, rerouted fuel lines to semi stock locations.

As soon as I get the rear up in the air, I will install the rear shoes and some other stuff I have been holding off on...