IGNORED

So, after a few years here and 900+ posts I suppose it's time I showed off my car...

Thanks Gary... I have a smallish herd of old cars and when I bought the Porsches, I didn't expect them to be so finicky. My 914 is on its third engine in 6 years, soon to be 4th. The 911 is up on a lift in my garage with its transmission having a blown 2nd gear. I reached an roadblock with the new 914 engine in that I elected to have a custom SDS harness built rather than go with the one SDS supplies. The guy who was going to build it for me suddenly found himself with a pregnant and rebellious teenage daughter and half of his coworkers layed off. That left him with stress at home, stress at work and no progress on the harness. A buddy is supposed to help me rebuild the 911 transmission but so far he has no time. So, with nothing else to work on... the 240Z got some attention! I put in the newish dashboard and hooked up all the wiring and oh crap! Now it doesn't run! I worked with the manual tracking things down - Nada... Silverstreak dropped his car off for me to use as a model - Nada... But it was fun to drive it around! Finally, I gave up and called another of our members here - Gary who owns a repair business called GT Auto... Gary had it figured out in no time. Previous owner had eliminated the mechanical fuel pump and put a smallish electric pump back by the tank. He ran a rogue wire up to the front rather than hacking in to the original pusher pump harness wiring. It was just hanging there and I didn't know what it was or what to do with it. Gary had it running - 'badly' within about 20 minutes after I left... 24 hours later I went to pick it up and Gary just reached through the window and turned the key and she starts right up.

Any photos of the interior. I am working through the same process. Moving slower than I'd like.

None yet Rod. Slower than you'd like is the proper way to install the new interior though so don't get too frustrated...

Rob,

Beautiful and its great to hear that it will be driven as a sports car as well.

If you were asking about the wheels: They're not bad but something just doesn't seem right about them. Maybe its the inverted hub that bugs me. I guess, overall, they seem too visually 'light' and don't give the impression of grabbing ahold of and ripping up the road. But I suspect that of all the possible vehicle accessories, opinions on wheels vary the most and are among the most strongly held. And if I look again at them in a few days, I might think they are perfect as I could see them growing on me.

Chris

Rob,

I have an original set of Mini-lite racing wheels ready for powder coat in my garage! JLP

Jerry, the problem with original Minilites is that you can't hardly find performance tires for 14" wheels. Easier perhaps for 15" but it is even getting hard for 16" in the sizes that those of us with narrow body cars would use. On the other hand, the smaller wheels are a great way to change gearing and get some grunt out of the corners for sure... I just prefer to use R rated rubber and there isn't much in that neighborhood...

Rob,

Beautiful and its great to hear that it will be driven as a sports car as well.

If you were asking about the wheels: They're not bad but something just doesn't seem right about them. Maybe its the inverted hub that bugs me. I guess, overall, they seem too visually 'light' and don't give the impression of grabbing ahold of and ripping up the road. But I suspect that of all the possible vehicle accessories, opinions on wheels vary the most and are among the most strongly held. And if I look again at them in a few days, I might think they are perfect as I could see them growing on me.

Chris

I kept thinking they were ugly and I wanted to get rid of them but they have somewhat grown on me. They are light and tires are plentiful in R rated rubber. Sport Compact Magazine before they closed up and went away listed these wheels as the best of the cast aluminum performance aftermarkets available. Shortly after that, Tire Rack started selling them... I guess they can read as well as advertise??? If someone wanted them and made me an offer, I would probably go with Panasports or Superlites (which aren't by the way. Light that is...)

Looking good!

The wheels do look a little modern on the Z but they still work. If you're not sure, I say keep those for track work and get whatever you like for street duty. As you know, they are extremely light and it actually looks like you are running them without a spacer, or not much spacer. R compound goes away quick on the street, extra wheels would keep the race tires fresh.

:beer:

Looking good!

The wheels do look a little modern on the Z but they still work. If you're not sure, I say keep those for track work and get whatever you like for street duty. As you know, they are extremely light and it actually looks like you are running them without a spacer, or not much spacer. R compound goes away quick on the street, extra wheels would keep the race tires fresh.

:beer:

As my screen name might intimate, I know just what you mean about the R rate rubber 'going away'. My first set of R rubber were Yokohama A001R tires on a Z. They lasted 5000 miles on the street with a few autocrosses thrown in... I remember thinking - 'well that sucked!'

So a little work today... Paid a visit to California DMV which is usually about equivalent to a root canal. Curiously though, I went up, got my number, headed to the restroom, sat down, opened a magazine I had brought with me, they called my number! Oh my! So, 5 minutes after arrival I was on my way out the door with new plates, (they wouldn't let me use my blue originals) and current registration. Sweet!

But, the oil needs changing so I head for home and raise it up and give her 5 quarts and a filter... Now, it's time for a ride! The carbs need rebuilding and I have ordered a gasket set from Peirce Manifold but it will take a few days to get here I am sure. I decided to give them suckers a blast of carb cleaner! After a few minutes of making smoke, she runs better so I back out the drive and head down the street. I take her on a 5 mile test route and she starts to run better on the way home... She needs some miles! Ok, I can do that!