IGNORED

1978 280Z FACTORY convertible!! Looking for some info

chuckc

As far as I know, the body kit is the Jim Cook California Z kit. I still have the catalog somewhere. It is a very nice car. It just has a different audience than a stock Z would have. No better, no worse in my book. I would definitely keep it, enjoy the heck out of it, and take my kids for rides whenever possible. Every car has it's own story. You get to write your own part of it.

I actually created a history document about my 240Z based on long phone conversations with the previous original owner, and then appended my continuing story. Write it down as you were told, add your piece, and pass it along in the future. That alone, will add value and interest to the car. Good luck with it!

Edited by cygnusx1

I ran into a guy with a convertible z at my Dad's gas station a year or two back. He said he was from Bellevue, WA if I remember correctly. He had his z shipped off brand new to have it converted. I don't recall where he had the work done. I was thinking Illinois for some reason. Although this is not a good picture it appears to have a similar trunk/luggage rack. Hard to see it, but it has an inserted panel under the rack like the car above.

picture.php?albumid=112&pictureid=2829

What do you now about the turbo-charging modifications?

I've read several accounts of bolting a turbo on to an engine that was originally NA, but they usually end up a with a non-optimum setup (compared to the later turbo motors) unless they go to aftermarket engine management (which would not have been available back when your uncle worked on the car).

The NA motor should be able to handle light boost with no trouble at all. Water injection was popular back then when the boost got higher. They also had some "better" fuels than we do now. Raising fuel pressures, adjusting air flow meters, and tricking the water temp circuit, are a few more tricks that can be done with the factory hardware.

Edited by cygnusx1

I'm more curious about his uncle did the turbo modification, way back then, without the internet and the various Z car forums that we have available today.

I haven't seen a D&M marine intake referred to before. The connection with Air Research sounds interesting too. Sounds like a unique setup.

The orange car pictured may well have been modified in Illinois as American Specialty Cars (ASC) had a large facility in Champaign. They eventually built Camaro and Firebird convertibles there for GM. I don't know about aftermarket turbo setups for the injected Zs, but HKS USA offered a blowthrough turbo kit for the carbed cars that used triple Mikuni PHH's. Cheers, Scott