IGNORED

How often do you drive your vintage Z?

bavarian06

Actually Hagerty doesn't have a mileage limit. From their website:

Freedom to enjoy your car

We believe cars are made to be driven. So our policy allows limited pleasure use with no fixed mileage limits. Whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows, you're covered. If you have specific questions about usage, especially if you own a newer vehicle (generally 1990 and newer), we're happy to discuss them with you.

-Mike

Maybe the unlimited mileage is for cars 1990 and newer. Tried to get my daily driver insured through them, the 1971 240Z, and they said 'NO'.

Our '77 joined our family in April last year, coming to us with 110k. We have added 11k since as a DD. Siblings are an Accord, an F150 and a motorcycle.

The garage belongs to the bike and the Z, her keys are the first off the hook unless maintenance, bad weather or gear/passenger space necessitates using something else in the "fleet".

We agree with driving not storing, as she needs and loves the excersize and attention. Despite her suberb condition, we have no fears in putting her out on the road. We admit to putting some effort into selecting the 'perfect' parking space...

Dave, your photo reminds me of when I would drive my older son to preschool everyday in my '75 Z that I had owned since well before he was born...

We had our first '77 and our son, Jack, was born in '79. I modified the rear deck and added anchors for his car seat. We 'installed' him by opening the hatch and slipping him in like a foot into shoe.

The personalized plate:

post-23509-14150814181741_thumb.jpg

I only put around 1000 to 1500 miles a year on my 81 280ZXT which keeps it easily within my insurance limits of 5K a year. It had 69K on it when I bought it in 08 and it now reads 73K. I've had the same insurance coverage for the three years I've had her and the one thing I've noticed is that they only asked for the mileage when I started the insurance in 08. Full coverage with a replacement value of ten thousand dollars for $128 a year. I hated leaving her unattended for any length of time so I found an 83 280ZXT that was in good shape but far from perfect. I use the 83 to run errands and save the 81 for weekend pleasure drives.

Maybe the unlimited mileage is for cars 1990 and newer. Tried to get my daily driver insured through them, the 1971 240Z, and they said 'NO'.

Like the Hagerty info I posted before says, their insurance is for limited use (although there is no mileage restriction). If you want to daily drive a classic car, it is not designed for that purpose.

Here is more info from their site regarding why some cars don't qualify for their collector car insurance:

Hagerty specializes in coverage for collector vehicles. Regrettably, there are some vehicles we do not cover due to their limited collectability, the way they are used and/or the extraordinary risk their use may pose, including:

* Camping, off-road or utility-type vehicles

* Daily-use vehicles

* Commercial-use vehicles

* Motorcycles with performance modifications

* Any vehicle modified with nitrous components

* Dune Buggies

Here is some info on the 1990 and newer cars they insure:

Some cars are immediate classics, attracting a loyal following. Rare or "limited production" vehicles, model years 1990 or newer, such as Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Dodge Vipers and Plymouth Prowlers, etc. are just a few examples. Depending on their use, these contemporary collectibles could qualify for our program.

-Mike

My kids fight over rides in the Z. In fact, when potty training my twin boys the only thing that worked was to bribe them with a ride in Dad's car. If they put a dookie in the potty then they would get a ride. Two weeks later and a couple of tanks of gas, they were trained.
Oddly enough STEVE I going through the same thing with my oldest. He got so used to taking his DOOKIE in the bed it seems to be the only comfortable place for him. I will try that with the Malibu though because he does like to ride

Hagerty wanted a mileage estimate, so I guesstimated about 2500 a year. They took the mileage and haven't asked again in 3 years. In the 3 years I have put on 8K, just 500 above the estimate, not bad.

I go to shows usually within 100 miles, sometimes further, Branson every year. That trip to Nashville last year was the longest, 1750mi, not a single problem. I was nervous the whole time, worried someone or something would happen, relieved it didn't.

Did I mention that huge bridge and river scared the CRAP out of me! Both times! LOL

Bonzi Lon

We had our first '77 and our son, Jack, was born in '79. I modified the rear deck and added anchors for his car seat. We 'installed' him by opening the hatch and slipping him in like a foot into shoe.

The personalized plate:

That's great! I wish I had thought of that! :classic: