IGNORED

The Z Store

tymarbry

Understand that MSA only deals in parts for Z's and has a business and staff the size of many car dealerships.

They also carry items not available elsewhere through their contacts, suppliers and manufacturers.

Their folks are knowledgeable where other sources are not.

Some sell all kinds of parts for all kinds of vehicles and their order staff is just that, take orders but know nothing about the parts they sell.

Cheap is not always the best way to go and calling someone a rip off is very immature without some form verifiable documentation.

You are gonna get a reputation and no one will help you that really has the correct answers.

When places like MSA decide to do some other kind business, that's when you are really gonna learn what expen$ive is.

Ask VW bug owners about prices of parts "back in the day".

Many Z's are inexpensive to buy and thus cause the owners to believe that everything on the car should be available for cheap.

Unfortunately, not a correct belief.

Edited by H4LIGHTS

I will agree with the OP, and the opposition. Yes, the prices are higher than they could be, but we would rather MSA makes a profit, or stay in business, than go bankrupt, or just throw in the towel. It's a tough business, and if they need to make a buck to stay around; so be it. We need a BIG Z store around.

I don't think your statement was way off base, or that you sound immature, or that your reputation is at stake. That's a bit harsh. You just have to look at it from the point of view of a business in this economy. Let's face it, for many of us, the Z is play money, and there's not a lot of that going around these dayz.

Edited by cygnusx1

I think you should count yourself lucky to have a store like MSA, I wish there was a store like that here in Australia I could buy from, instead over the past few years I've had to pay O/S shipping rates which isn't cheap.

Maybe naive is better.

Nissan was one of the few car companies that continued to provision for their cars well beyond the legal requirements, a real money loser overall for them but a great reputation booster with the enthusiast.

They had some folks in the company that really cared about Datsun.

Heck, they even got into the restoration program and had some old previously unavailable parts produced again.

Then they almost went bankrupt and Renault came to the rescue with a more mainstream business model.

ROI now rules the day at Nissan USA.

Do not expect things to get better any time soon for older Z car owners. Even the small remanufacturers and boutique parts and accessory shops have been disappearing over the past couple of years.

If many your posts gravitate around the high costs of whatever, IMHO it may be better to find a vehicle that will be more cost effective, in your estimation.

Z's are cheap to buy and that may be a bad thing.

Sooner or later the sugar coating disappears and the bitter pill remains.

Interestingly I've heard the same complaints about the independent businesses of RacingBeat (Mazda) and ToySport (Toyota), yet when you want quality these are the go to guys in many respects.

Edited by H4LIGHTS

Well I did in the end want opinions on the matter and I did get them. Even with my integrity at question here.

I mean a leather shift boot cost $30-60 on there. Really? Something I can make in a day and cost of like $9 shouldnt be $30 or more. I understand quality comes at a price. But overall you cant scare your customers away with high prices.

I mean how much quality is there in a fender flare? They are all plastic/carbon in the end. Some things just dont need to bear a hefty price tag.

If everyone is happy with MSA then I guess its time to close the thread down.

I mean a leather shift boot cost $30-60 on there. Really? Something I can make in a day and cost of like $9 shouldnt be $30 or more. I understand quality comes at a price. But overall you cant scare your customers away with high prices.

Would you work for $30-60 a day? Really?

They aren't the cheapest place in town. I do get the club discount. The shipping is a bit high on large items.

That being said, my local parts stores can't get a lot of the stuff MSA gets. I've spent quite a bit of money with them and have been pleased. I do shop other places, it depends on what I want. If it's brake parts or gaskets, I'll get those at rockauto.com or the local parts store.

If it's weather stripping, wheels, air dam, emblems, exhaust, or other "z" special part, I'll look to MSA first.

Life would really suck if we didn't have a few "z" special shops around. It takes a lot of effort to run a specialty business and they deserve our support.

I live about half an hour away, so I go there every now and then to pick up parts that I need. Admittedly they can be a bit expensive sometimes, but often they're the only place that has the part that I need.

They've been pretty helpful and friendly for the most part, although I was left hanging once when my backordered part kept getting delayed and delayed until I finally gave up and canceled. I don't think it was their fault that they were unable to get the part, but I think the communication could have been a bit better.

You can call black dragon and ask a technical question about a product and they "will get back to you" with no technical help.

You can try and find the original nissan part# and order from the dealer; or ask MSA if their product is a original Nissan part.

The biggest disappointment for me with MSA is not the price--but the lack of R&D of the items they sell.

example; higher wattage dash bulbs. Not a plug and play, even though they are sold that way. i had to modify the bulds to work, as well as other members on this site. Did anyone at MSA actually due any real world testing with these bulbs.

another example; Headers. Just look thru the archives to see all the fitment problems with the headers sold at MSA and also the exhaust systems. MSA are suppose to be the experts on our cars---thus the higher prices,, but I don't find that to be true.

So both pros and cons---like any other business I guess

I ordered ball joins from MSA they were cheaper at BD but decided to order from them because this web board advertises their site and sometimes you get what you pay for. They were some Korean junk and MSA did not offer for me to return them for a refund. All they had to say was " We have sold 100's of them without any problems" . As for the old saying "you get what you pay for" was brought up by some members as to why they order from MSA, i needed rotors all the way around for mt Eclipse, i found a seller on ebay that had old stock from a defunked parts house and got all 4 shipped for $175. when they arrived the rear were made in Japan and the front were Brembro.

BD are very good with their catalogues compared to MSA that used to sell them. For web catalogue I do not like either MSA or BD. I think MSA's is slightly better.

Also I just ordered ~ $1100 from BD and ~ $800 from MSA. BD gave free shipping and followed up with a nice signed thank-you card. Sort of corny marketing stuff but it is impressive to see they are trying and doing.

Both are different but both are great.

I just wish each would canvas suppliers to make more Z parts.