IGNORED

Daves NEW Start/Stop Button Ignition System.

Zs-ondabrain

OK, Finally got out there and made a video of the new DZ-Ztart module installed in my 70' 240Z. The old video had different functions. It now better resemble the Maxima operation of Push once for Acc, press brake and push to start car, press again to shut off. Press without touching brake pedal and you only get Acc. on and off.

Thanks again guys,

Dave

Thanks Dave, I try.

I replied to a message with Greg today. Soundmasterg in Oregon. He brought up a good point. Went something like this......

Is it possible to interface the DZ-Start as it is now with an RFID system later? Meaning, if I get the system from you as it is presently, will it be able to work with an RFID system at a later date if I get an RFID system at some point? I'll have to do some research on those RFID systems and see how they work....I may be able to make one for a lot cheaper.....

I definitly plan to add power door locks and windows to my Z...I like your setup and I'm not worried about originality since my car isn't a perfect speciman anyway.

Greg.

YES!. Completely easy. The Button has an Orange Dissengage wire. When that wire is grounded (Via a toggle switch hooked to ground, a pressure pad connected to ground, or an Alarms "Ground when Armed" wire) the system will not work.

If you find an RFID system, with a "ground when away" (wire goes to ground when the RFID tag is not within range) then hook that wire up to the Orange wire and you're good.

It's literally THAT easy. My issue is they (the good ones, with some range on them - other than 4 inches) are expensive. When I find one that is cost efficiant and fit's in the box we have, I WILL offer it. Guard dog has a small one, it's the size of a relay and has a 10 foot range that is adjustable. But it's $150. I'm looking for one that's in the $50 range.

Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And on another note........

What are your opinions on a simple remote ON/OFF system, integrated with the box. 2 remotes, simple ON or OFF feature. Not sure about the range yet but I'm sure it's outside the car. I ordered a unit and will test it this week.

I'm thinking a $30 add on? Maybe.

Still looking for a decent affordable, decent range RFID. Not that easy.

Got some pics for you guys too.

Dave

1) The Labeled DZ-Start box and Security switch (hidable)

2) The Instal guide (revised)

3) The Complete kit (with the security switch out of frame)

4) The 10-pin connector of the Harness plugged in.

5) The Nissan Button plugged in with the "Coil Signal Aquired" LED

6) The Nissan Switch ready to go in it's home

7) The New switch in the Ignition switch hole

More pics available here..........

Photobucket / DatsunDave09

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Would anyone be interested more if we offered a 2) remote system that can easily turn ON/OFF the security feature with the push of a button??? Anyone? I've yet to find an RFID that I really like yet. But I'm looking.

Also, got 3) pre-Paid orders and lots of interest so far. I know a lot of you want to see a finished product before showing interest, and having another S30 owner, novice installer show how easy it is will probably help in the decision making.

I know this is not for everyone. It's not a typical "Dave Upgrade" but it is pretty damn cool. If you have any questions Please feel free to ask away. And in case I haven't mentioned it yet... The functions now resemble the Maxima even more.

press once for Acc. only Press again to shut it off.

Press once for Acc. press brake and button again to start, press again for off.

At the buyers request, a micro switch can be installed near the relays to turn on the "Ign. Only" for Diagnostic work on your S30.

Thanks for reading. hope everyone had a good week-end.

Dave

Dave, my early 74 260 sometimes only clicks when you turn the key. Then after a few clicks, she will crank. I have replaced the started but it still does it. Will your system fix that some time clicking feeling????

Dave, my early 74 260 sometimes only clicks when you turn the key. Then after a few clicks, she will crank. I have replaced the started but it still does it. Will your system fix that some time clicking feeling????

That is usually a symptom of:

1) Weak battery (voltage may be good, but capacity is down)

2) Tired starter solenoid

3) Failing battery cables or poor ground

4) A combination thereof

What Gary said.

New Battery, bump your Battey Cables up to a 4 gauge, Clean the ground connections on the firewall behind the battery, and below the battery-above the frame rail, pull the grounds and clean them and the metal they contact, bolt down tight.

It is possible that the ignition switch could be weakening after these long years. In that case, YES, the DZ-Start system would fix that.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Found out some great news today while out and about. It's been brought up that some people would like to be able to have the button in the ON position for Working on the car, diagnostics, etc.

I thought at first that the new design would not support this, BUT. parently I was wrong...

Typically, if you press the button once, you get Acc.

If you press on the brake pedal and press and hold the button, the car starts.

-*BUT*-

If the button shows ACC from the first press, just a quick TAP of the button while pressing the brake pedal, the car won't start but the ignition relay is turned on, for diagnostic work or whatever.

I found out by accident today. I tried to start the car and didn't press the button long enough to start the car. Looked down and saw the ON LED was on, which means the Ign. Relay was on. So yes. The new design does support your need for an Ign ON position for working on the car.

So get in the car, press the brake pedal and "Double Tap" the button for an "Ign. ON" position without the car running.

then, without pressing the brake pedal, tap again to shut it off. OR press the brake and hold the button to start.

Dave

So far, this thing has everything. And was actually surpriced but th Anti-car jacking and Ign. ON Engine not running features.

Still have some spots available if anyone is interested.

EPSARK,

Did you find anything out on the issue you had? is the connector cut off or is it a big mess under there.?

Dave,

Just got the car off the trailer and into the garage, out of the snow again. Can't believe the whether we are having. I have two weeks before she goes to the painter, so I intend to get into the dash as soon as I can. The more I read about what your system can do, the more intrigued I am. :classic:

I am hoping that the wiring is not a total mess under there. As I get into this more, would you rather I PM you or post on this thread so others can see what has been done to my car? The PO also had the car set up on a Crane system, so it has an electronic system.

I have seen on another post that someone was having problems with their tach not working on an electronic signal. The car has an Autometer tach now, but I got a rebuilt original style that is supposed to work on the electronic signal if your interested in seeing that as well. I just figure that if I am going to take the dash out, I may as well do all the projects that I have been meaning to. ROFL

Even the Crane system works on a Pulsed signal. The signal I'm refering to is the signal the charges the coil and allows it to release, repeatedly, causing spark for the plugs.

I have an MSD System and I just grabbed the signal off the White wire, that get's it's signal from the distributor. The signal can be grabbed on fuel injected cars using the Injector wires. They rest at ground and get a positive signal to open with each stroke of the piston (or every other stroke)

So it's easy to find. AND the LED on the DZ-Start will tell you when you have the correct signal. It will light up when it gets a Pulsed signal. Just hook up (instal the DZ-Start) Start the car, connect a long wire to the Purple Sinal wire on the DZ-Start, touch it to the coil's (+) terminal and see if the LED is lit. If not, probe around the distributor wire and check again. It will light when you get it. Connect the wire to the pulsed wire then hit the button to shut off the car. If you can't find the signal, just press the button without touching the brake pedal.

The pulsed signal just tells the DZ-Start that the motor is running. So if you have your foot on the brake when shutting off the motor, it doesn't run the starter motor and grind the starter. Post what you find here, so if anyone else has a similar issue, they'll find it here.

Dave

*UPDATE* time..........

Just installed the New Remote Control Key Fob Option in the box and it works Great!!!!

Even with all the wiring and other crap in my dash, the tinted windows (Usually gives signals a problem) metal and all that, The Remote had about a 40 Foot Range on it. I was across the street in my neighbors Garage and it still worked fine.

No beeping or light flash, just hit the ON or OFF button and you're good. This is the best I can do on a first Edition run.

I hope to offer a stand alone RFID system that can be hooked up to the Orange Dissengage wire, at a later date. But for now, the Remote System seems to do the trick for those worried about security.

Here's what you'll get..... A blue wire and 2) Remote Key Fobs.

The Remotes are. 1.25" wide X 1.75" long

The DZ-Start with Remote Option will be an additional $25 for a total of $195 delivered anywhere in the Lower 48 United States.

Does this work for anyone now?

Dave

DSCN1950.jpg