IGNORED

Daves NEW Start/Stop Button Ignition System.

Zs-ondabrain

I like it too Dave. My rig is still a few years from completion and I have dreamt about this exact modification. I have a spot on the center console right near my right knee that would be perfect for it. I understand at the moment it has to go in where the ignition switch was but with a little ingenuity I believe it could be mounted elsewhere. I will keep my eye on it though. Maybe an early XMAS present from the "WIF"

Dave, I also think it's a cool idea, but, came up with a few questions. I assume you are posting this to retrieve feedback about the idea. So, here goes.

Dave, unless it's a race car, I don't see how you can secure the vehicle against someone just opening the door, pushing the button, and driving away with your car. Have you thought about security?

AFIK, the push-button technology works only on newer cars if the key-fob is present in (or near) the vehicle. I haven't looked into the method they use (some kind of RFID I assume), but, without this in place I don't see how this push button can be used in more markets than just race cars or cars rarely driven and protected in a garage.

If it plugs directly into the existing wiring, this is a benefit for your product.

I think it would be really cool if you took this idea to the next level. Perhaps integrate RFID and tie it to a specific alarm manufacturer.

Mike

Not answering for Dave, but my "oil cap" ignition which I call "keyless", is just that. Anyone can walk up, turn the knob, and steal the car. However, I employ kill switches for those days when I need to park the car for a while. There is no reason that a kill switch can't easily be employed. I think Dave's button setup provides wires for "kill-switching" the car.

Dave, unless it's a race car, I don't see how you can secure the vehicle against someone just opening the door, pushing the button, and driving away with your car. Have you thought about security?

Mike

As mentioned above, there is kill switch that is hidden in the car, and the button wont work without this in the right position. As well, i don't think its a stretch to think that if you are going to install something like this in your car, an after market security system is already in, or going in with it. And this kit can tie into most if not all systems, so that when armed, the start button will not work either.

Edited by TriDawgn

Good job Dave! Well thought out and a good implementation. The security features may need a little work, but it really isn't much less secure than the ignition switch in most early 70's cars.

(The less said publicly about that the better by the way...)

And $170 is a reasonable price.

Personally I despise the push button start concept, so I am not interested. However for those who are less stuck in the mud than I am, this looks like a promising solution.

This looks great to me. The PO had something like this installed in my '73 240Z, but a bit more complicated. I have to have the key in the ignition switch in the run position (nice security), then flip the ignition switch (yes another switch where the ash tray used to be along with the fuel pump switch, fog light switch and acc switch), then you can push the stat button to start the car. All together works as a theft deterrent. The problem is that the push button has gotten flaky on me and so I picked up an S2000 start button to replace it. Just figured on hooking it up that same as the current button, with the addition of a led lead for lighting it up. Yours seems way easier and simpler. Once I get my car back from more body work, I plan on taking out the dash to see what the wiring is like. I have to because the current switch is located where the cigarette lighter used to be. If I can make yours work, then I will be in. If not, then I go with original plan and use what I have. Just wish you lived closer because right now, there is no one I trust locally to do electrical, let alone learn from. Any idea just yet when production may start?

It HAS 2 Security features. Every Kit will come with a PLUG-IN Micro Switch. Which cn be put anywhere within 3 feet of the Start box. AND you can even Extend the wires using regular speaker wire to any length you choose (to put it in the center console if you'd like) The 2 wires of the security Switch just need to make contact to Disengage the Box (Make it not work)

I Just got the new box and will make a small video tomorrow.

The Second Security feature is a Single wire than can be connected to an Alarms "Ground when Armed" wire. So If you have an alarm, this feature can be added to your alarm to Disengage the Box. AND you can also leave in the Micro switch as a back-up, so if your alarms power wire is cut, the Micro switch will still Disengage the Box.

The Third Security Feature is an Anit-Car-Jacking Feature. When the car is running, Flip the Micro switch (when in bad Neighborhoods). pressing the Ignition Button will shut the engine off, you give up your car and leave, they hit the button all they want and it won't start. They leave the car and look for the next victim. You come back when he's gone, flip the switch and drive away.

Mike,

This is a Keyless Ignition, not a Keyless Vehicle system. As I said in the first post, "Use your key to enter the vehicle and put it back in your pocket." You'll never lock your keys in the car again.

esmit208,

An Extended Cable will be available for those with Custom Applications like the dash or center console. The Hole cut-out Template can be used on the center console or any 1/8" plate of their chosing.

A Multi-Mounting bracket will also be available with Pre-cut hole and tabs. It will aalow the bracket to be mounted Under the flat of the dash, on the center console, above the steering column cover or to the left of it. I'll post a picture later to explain the simple mounting bracket for those who want to put the switch somewhere other than the ignition hole.

Going to dinner be back later to fill you in some more.

Dave

This looks great to me. The PO had something like this installed in my '73 240Z, but a bit more complicated. I have to have the key in the ignition switch in the run position (nice security), then flip the ignition switch (yes another switch where the ash tray used to be along with the fuel pump switch, fog light switch and acc switch), then you can push the stat button to start the car. All together works as a theft deterrent. The problem is that the push button has gotten flaky on me and so I picked up an S2000 start button to replace it. Just figured on hooking it up that same as the current button, with the addition of a led lead for lighting it up. Yours seems way easier and simpler. Once I get my car back from more body work, I plan on taking out the dash to see what the wiring is like. I have to because the current switch is located where the cigarette lighter used to be. If I can make yours work, then I will be in. If not, then I go with original plan and use what I have. Just wish you lived closer because right now, there is no one I trust locally to do electrical, let alone learn from. Any idea just yet when production may start?

If he cut your plug off, I can make you a hard-wire version with Matching colored wires to connect to your dash harness, crimp the butt connectors and you're good to go for the other 3 wires. Simple.

I plan on doing that as soon as I can. I get the car back tomorrow from the guy doing the fender flares, but then it has to go back to get repainted, again. If there is enough time between the tow then I will look, if not then I'll PM you with results when I get a chance. Hopefully by the end of the month at the latest. Have enough interest to start production?

So one of the Members at Ratsun.net did a little research and found the following vehicles with the same style connector and correct wiring (in the correct slot for complete Plug-N-play) with no altering of the wiring configuration.

These are the same as the 240Z's ignition connector and wiring

Datsun

1968-1973 510

1970-1978 240Z, 260Z, 280Z

1979-1983 280ZX

1972-1973 1200 (B110)

1979-1982 210 (B310)

1978-1981 510 (A10)

1977-1981 810 (Bluebird)

1982-1983 Maxima (910 Bluebird)

1979-1982 310 (N10)

1977-1983 200SX (S10)

1979 Datsun 620

1980-1982 Datsun 720

Subaru

1982-1987 Brat

1986-1987 GL

1980-1984 DL

1980 GLF

1980 GL

1980-1987 Standard

And these are wired different, but look similar:

1974-1978 B210

1973-1976 610

1975-1977 710

1976-1978 F10

All I would need to know, to make the DZ-Start Plug N Play for these models, is where each wire is in the connector.

So 20 vehicles are P-N-P for the DZ-Start. Things are looking good so far.

Fianl schematic and board Lay-out was sent to the PCB Manufacurer. So I'll be able to start assembling the boards in a few weeks and should have the relay harnesses ready by then as well.

This is me, doing my "Happy Dance" LOLROFLLOL

Dave