IGNORED

mustang vs any z

superj243

Buddy of mine had an inline 6 Chevy Nova, that he thought was "the Shiznit" until I wiped the expression off his face with my pretty damn stock Z (years ago, before the mods)

The older V6 that came in the Mustang 2's (my first car was a 75') was nothing compared to our inline 6's. I could eat those things all day long. But the newer 305hp V6's are more than a contendor, they wup some serious butt. Even with it being a heavier car. Yet, If I had 305hp in my 70', that Mustang would have a challenge on it's hand, as mine is obviously lighter. Power to weight is a major factor in that race.

Either way, the ZX is a good car but Heavier than the earlier Z's, so I would likely beat your ZX as well. But if they were identical weight and power, then it would be a "Drivers Race" Where Reaction time and shift points come in to play.

So like GNOSEZ said, definition of each car is important. I understand your quarry, or question as it pertains to a thought, that I'm sure most of us have had "Can beat this guy" and "Bet I could woop that car, like right now"

Good question but needs perameters.

Dave

also i don think that power to weight ratio would be an accurate way to tell what vehicle would out perform the other

Quite the contrary. Power to weight ratio is EXACTLY the point. Perfect example of that is the fact that the 1970 240Z will outrun your ZX. Read the road test reports.

Quite the contrary. Power to weight ratio is EXACTLY the point. Perfect example of that is the fact that the 1970 240Z will outrun your ZX. Read the road test reports.

Yes. Case in point, drag racing calculators. Plug in weight and power and they can give you a pretty accurate 1/4 mile time.

http://www.hotrodpitstop.com/tools.html

I think the new 370 coupe will give new GT Mustang a run. Sorry but, no chance in an 80's ZX (still nice looking car though).
The 5.0 is nearly a full second quicker in the 1/4 mile than the 370Z Nismo. Don't know how they'd compare on a road course though. I've not run up against a 370Z yet that could out accelerate my 2005 GTO either.

The new Mustang was .1 sec slower than a BMW M3 on Streets of Willow which is a very tight road course, almost like a very big autox. The new Mustang is no joke. I don't know how the 370Z would fare on that course, but I wouldn't assume that it would be as fast.

Yes. Case in point, drag racing calculators. Plug in weight and power and they can give you a pretty accurate 1/4 mile time.

http://www.hotrodpitstop.com/tools.html

According to that, my stock 280ZX-T will do a 14.6 quarter mile. I'll take that! (most magazines have it at 15.0- 15.5). The calculator must not take into account turbo lag.

The 5.0 is nearly a full second quicker in the 1/4 mile than the 370Z Nismo. Don't know how they'd compare on a road course though. I've not run up against a 370Z yet that could out accelerate my 2005 GTO either.

Car and Driver took care of the road course comparison. For the past few years, they go to VIR for their Lightning Lap comparison. They used up the brakes in a 370Z and stuffed it. They did a post-mortem on the the brakes after that. The Mustang GT was over 3 seconds faster despite the solid rear axle.

Of course, this is done at only one road course. YMMV.

According to the Calculator, my 70' is a over a half second faster than a Turbo L6 in a ZX?? I'm around 170+ HP in a 2450 lb car. am I wrong on my Curb weight?

I guess I need to drop some cash on a Dyno test and weigh the car as is. I trust the facts, in black and white. (or a colored graph LOL )

Dave