IGNORED

Headlight Replacements

IdahoKidd

Hey guys, doing a straw poll I guess. I am looking to replace the headlights in my 240z and am considering the Hella's. Anyone have something they really like or are comfortable with. (DOT isn't a concern). I like the fact I can change out the bulb without taking out the entire lense assembly.

I see some inexpensive (cheap) projection lenses on ebay but am not convinced and moreso, they look really ugly. Looking to keep it reasonable (Hella's with bulbs are $60ish each)

I know that I need to get Dave's harness to keep from frying the switch and fuse panel.

I've been running E-code H4 lights in all my vehicles since 1976. I've had personal experience with many brands in the 7" round size, including Hella, Bosch, Cibié, Marchal, Lucas, Wipac, Carello, AutoPal, Stanley and Neolite. Bar none, the overall best have been Hella, with Cibié a close second. The Cibié have a touch better range on high beam, but the Hellas have the absolute best low beam - broad, and free from shadows.

The cheap (and ugly, IMO) MSR and faux-projector lamps you see on eBay are not in the same class as any of the real E-code lights listed above. Even the least expensive Neolites will control the light output better than the clear-lens cheapies.

All that said - ANY H4 lamp, even the eBay jobs, are superior to any sealed beam.

I will second Arne's opinion to a degree. I prefer the Cibie' over the Hella but I tend to spend more time on High beam then low. However, with price a consideration...go with the Hellas...Cibie's will run upward of $90 a piece with no H-4 bulb and not including shipping...FROM ENGLAND.

David Stern sells Cibié here in the states, but they are still spendy. As you've guessed, these days I weight low beam performance higher than high beam, thus the Hellas.

That said, I will admit to having Cibié in my 240Z right now, due simply to the more "period" look of the convex lens.

I'm running Hella's with H4 style 6000K Bixenon HID's with 35 watt Ballasts.

Great fit, great Low Beam, Hi beam is Awesome. Very clean and it's said that HID bulbs last longer than standard H4's. Here's a couple pics....

Dave

Car is on a downward sloped driveway, that's why the lights seem to be right in front, rather than further out in the road.

post-4921-14150813522436_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813522871_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813547662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

I hope you mean "Something similar to those" cause those are 5-3/4" You need 7"

And let this be a warning to those who are thinking about Diamond Cut lenses. THEY SUCK.!! A focused clean lens or Euro lens is best.

Yes I didn't read that. I got similar lenses.

Hey guys,

I manufacture headlights for the 7" round size. I use REAL projectors designed to be used with HIDs which means no blinding and a very defined cutoff. You can check out my site at: www.Trueprojectorheadlights.com

I run the modern kit in my s130 and classic kit in my 911. Feel free to email me: trueprojectorheadlights@gmail.com

I have sold more than 35 sets on Hybridz and they have gotten very good reviews.

Let me know if you guys have any questions at all.

Thanks,

Ben

I have Hellas in one of mine (30855), put 'em in back in 1972. Back then it was an argument over which was better - Hella or Cibie. I believe Carl B used the Cibie. Of course before she hits the roads again I will have the upgraded harness in to take full benefit of the light provided.