IGNORED

Rechromed bumpers

kenz240z

I emailed pics to Nu Chrome again today after carl mentioned his quote. I explained that I did not want to pay much more than the rough original quote and wanted him to look over to pics to see if they thought it would still be close to that amount. Keep in mind I'm not doing the guards or accessory bars etc.. Just the plain bumper.

the reply

"Yes, the cost should be in the $225 range for a bumper in good condition.

Let us know when you ready to proceed so we can schedule a pick-up.

Once we get the bumper and inspect the condition to determine the labor content, we can provide a quotation for the service. The rust arears that you mention should heve no cost impact, as we routinely grind/polish the steel to a mirror finish."

Now I'm sure it's going to cost more than $225, as I wouldn't call my bumpers "good condition". But even if they will do them for $325, and pay shipping. I'd still be willing to do it.

Shipping these bumpers will cost at least $50-60 each way. Nu Chrome is going to pay for shipping just to get the bumpers and give me a solid quote. I'm going to give it a shot and report back, since there really isn't any risk to me.

Denver bumper has solid work and I know lots of fellow Z owners have been happy. I'll be the guinea pig on the east coast guys and see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

update on the nu-chrome. They got my bumpers, the base estimate was low for the work needed to be done. Due to how bent up my bumpers are and the holes that need to be filed, along with the front bumper having a couple rust through spots, it's going to be $1000 total, after shipping, tax, labor, hazardous materials fee, etc.. That's quite a bit more than I was expecting.

I called denver bumper. They quoted $500 as a base price, told me that shipping would be extra, and that did not include filling holes or straightening. They said that price was based on a pair of clean bumpers. They also said if there was rust through, they may not even be able to repair them.

I went on and gave nuchrome approval. ETA is 8 weeks. They assured me it would be a very good job. We shall see.

I'm very tempted to scrap the whole idea and search for clean bumpers, but given the fact that I can't paint my car until I get some bumpers (still need to drill the quarter panel hole and do final fit), I've opted to throw more money out the door to just get it over with and move on. I figure best case scenario I'd still have $600-700 in a set of high quality bumpers.

Hey, I just thought I would toss this in for thought. I bought a set stainless steel bumpers from Harrington Group, GB, about a year ago for the '70 Z. They are actually made in Viet Nam. I was wary, of course, but the guy in VN was easy to deal with via email. They made my rear bumper as one piece as I had half kiddingly suggested, no holes in the faces, lightweight, maybe 15 pounds together. They are not going to protect much, mostly aesthetic. I haven't begun putting the car together to inform on fit, but the finish is fantastic. It looked as if the tips of the rear wings were angled outward a little, but that wouldn't bother me as I intend to widen the rear fenders aft the wheels. They had never had that request, and I gave them the feedback which should prevent that in future. I had searched for nearly 20 years for clean, naked bumpers, so I jumped on it and paid $950, half for deposit, balance before shipping, shipping included, and I traced them from delivery to home in central Indiana, under two weeks from order date. Arrived well packaged and perfect. Their website is pretty cool, too, lots of products. Stainless steel. No holes. Custom requests. I'm pretty picky, and I am impressed. This is not a sales pitch, just a positive experience. Jim

update on the nu-chrome. They got my bumpers, the base estimate was low for the work needed to be done. Due to how bent up my bumpers are and the holes that need to be filed, along with the front bumper having a couple rust through spots, it's going to be $1000 total, after shipping, tax, labor, hazardous materials fee, etc.. That's quite a bit more than I was expecting.

I called denver bumper. They quoted $500 as a base price, told me that shipping would be extra, and that did not include filling holes or straightening. They said that price was based on a pair of clean bumpers. They also said if there was rust through, they may not even be able to repair them.

I went on and gave nuchrome approval. ETA is 8 weeks. They assured me it would be a very good job. We shall see.

I'm very tempted to scrap the whole idea and search for clean bumpers, but given the fact that I can't paint my car until I get some bumpers (still need to drill the quarter panel hole and do final fit), I've opted to throw more money out the door to just get it over with and move on. I figure best case scenario I'd still have $600-700 in a set of high quality bumpers.

thinking about heading back to the pick and pull, front bumper looked nice rear one had some faded crome not sure what shipping would be though, Are you looking for 280 or 240-260 bumpers?

post-17660-14150813766979_thumb.jpg

thinking about heading back to the pick and pull, front bumper looked nice rear one had some faded crome not sure what shipping would be though, Are you looking for 280 or 240-260 bumpers?

240 bumpers. Even good straight ones will still cost me a minimum of $600 to rechrome apparently. I reckon its just the cost of doing business..

Hey, I just thought I would toss this in for thought. I bought a set stainless steel bumpers from Harrington Group, GB, about a year ago for the '70 Z. They are actually made in Viet Nam. I was wary, of course, but the guy in VN was easy to deal with via email. They made my rear bumper as one piece as I had half kiddingly suggested, no holes in the faces, lightweight, maybe 15 pounds together. They are not going to protect much, mostly aesthetic. I haven't begun putting the car together to inform on fit, but the finish is fantastic. It looked as if the tips of the rear wings were angled outward a little, but that wouldn't bother me as I intend to widen the rear fenders aft the wheels. They had never had that request, and I gave them the feedback which should prevent that in future. I had searched for nearly 20 years for clean, naked bumpers, so I jumped on it and paid $950, half for deposit, balance before shipping, shipping included, and I traced them from delivery to home in central Indiana, under two weeks from order date. Arrived well packaged and perfect. Their website is pretty cool, too, lots of products. Stainless steel. No holes. Custom requests. I'm pretty picky, and I am impressed. This is not a sales pitch, just a positive experience. Jim

Thanks for the info. I've actually emailed those guys. It's $1200 now for a set after shipping.

I bought a set stainless steel bumpers from Harrington Group, GB, about a year ago for the '70 Z. ....

So, how does the color and shine compare with actual chrome? If they were sitting side by side would you be able to tell the difference?

Also, did they sell you the uprights? I'm not sure I saw them on the auction page. Not sure the bumpers would match the uprights if they were chrome and the bumper was SS.

John

I've changed my mind.

After communicating with the sales guy from Harrington group, and the fact that they will make me a set of bumpers without the rubbers or holes, I'm going to go that route.

I'll have a set of original 240z bumpers for sale as soon as they get back from nu-chrome.

I figure by the time I sell my original bumpers, the cost will be roughly the same or slightly less to go with the new ones, and they are stainless.

The communication from the harrington group has been excellent.

http://www.groupharrington.com/en

I'll post up pics when they arrive.

Due to how bent up my bumpers are and the holes that need to be filed, along with the front bumper having a couple rust through spots, it's going to be $1000 total, after shipping, tax, labor, hazardous materials fee, etc.. That's quite a bit more than I was expecting.

Given the condition of the bumpers - how much do you think you can get out of them? For that matter, why would anyone buy them?

Maybe you could start with a very good set of used bumpers that costs $500.00 or less, then have them re-chromed for $500.00.

While I'm sure stainless bumpers can be very nice - they will turn your Classic into a Modified. Not a problem if you plan to drive it often and worry about rust problems, but stainless will never look the same as good chrome.

Just me - but for the same money or slightly more I'd stick with chrome originals. If the stainless were half the price - maybe.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Given the condition of the bumpers - how much do you think you can get out of them? For that matter, why would anyone buy them?

Maybe you could start with a very good set of used bumpers that costs $500.00 or less, then have them re-chromed for $500.00.

While I'm sure stainless bumpers can be very nice - they will turn your Classic into a Modified. Not a problem if you plan to drive it often and worry about rust problems, but stainless will never look the same as good chrome.

Just me - but for the same money or slightly more I'd stick with chrome originals. If the stainless were half the price - maybe.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I'm not sure what I can get out of them. I've got $300 in them. I'm sure I can get something out of them, they are salvageable. From my discussions with two different chrome shops, the $500 price for chroming bumpers is a starting point, for a perfect set of bumpers. after shipping, materials fees, and any clean up work it will cost more.

And as far as my classic, it's a 280, so putting 240 bumpers on is already a modification. If I was doing a 240 resto, I would stick with the originals for sure. It won't be a daily driver, but it will be a driver.

Honestly, I was trying to do the whole thing for about $700-800 including chroming. That just isn't going to happen though. If I could find a perfect set of 240 bumpers with no holes for $700-800, I'd buy them. I don't think they are out there though. Been watching for 6 months.