IGNORED

[2011] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

Rebuilt the Mechanical fuel pump (was leaking due to a bad Diaphram)

Finished installing the Nissan Maxima Push button Start/Stop Switch into the 240Z. With a big thanks to Brian Laine, who designed and built the circuit board to make it all work like a Maxima, but in my 240Z.

http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=2202506

Dave

i like that! might have to look into that a bit!

Replaced the radiator with a New one(three core Brass/Copper) from RockAuto.com ($150.00). Perfect fit and looks great, bonus, no more leaks. Made a defrost duct pipe for drivers side(missing when bought car) Took her for a ride and cruised for an hour. Arn't days off fun.(Not)

So the BBS wheels are ready for tires and the 44mm taper bored to 50mm Solex carbs have been gone through (note the lack of a venturi and instead the soldered in "J" tube).

Cam, springs, rockers, etc. got cryo and rem treated, pistons Swann treated, E31 head has been gone through, torque plate rented, cage welded in last night and tonight hit it with the grinder, undercarriage and wheel wells to be touched up after all the welding.

post-7328-14150813875923_thumb.jpg

post-7328-14150813900388_thumb.jpg

post-7328-14150813900846_thumb.jpg

Went To Brians house to reinstal the Start switch and box (Brian had to do a little tweeking on it) and as soon as I'm ready to go home, I get a call from the Wife, "Are you on your way home YET?" I say "ya, I'm ready to go, Why?" "Cause I can't see the road anymore and you're out in the Z. And we both know it don't wok in the snow"

So I got 5 miles to get home and at one point, I clenched my butt so fast that I'm pretty sure I almost sucked my underwear off my body. And on another note, LSD diffs have NO advantage in the snow. If anything, it was worse. Clutches chattering from it trying to grab and let go. Not cool...

So somehow, by the Grace of God and a little skill (hills and turns included) I made it in front of my house. And then I couldn't even get into my own garage. The damn driveway is about a 20* uphill slant. Do I had to park half way up and get my "Torchdown Roofing" torch out and Blast the snow enough to melt it and expose just a little asphalt. 5 minutes later and she's resting in the garage.

Lesson learned, "If there's a chance that it'll snow while out in the Z, DON'T DO IT!!"

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Dave,

Glad you made it home safely. I love that push-button start! My wife's Altima has it, and you just have to have the smart key in the car. Does yours require a smart key, or does the car start without a key now?

No Key, No Key Fob or smart key. Works the same as your Altima. Press once to turn it on, press and hold the brake pedal down while pressing the Nissan Start button and it starts. Pressing it again shuts it off. I do not have the option of keeping the radio on till the door is open though. That can be mixed into the system but not really needed on my Z as I only listen to the radio when the car is running, for power reasons of coarse.

When we've worked out the bugs, we will be offering this to the Z community. It'll include a Genuine Nissan Maxima/Altima Push button ignition switch, the Start box circuit, the Plug and Play Datsun Ign. harness (plugs right into your ign. connector, brake switch tap with bullets for an easy tap, parking light and door pin taps as well as the Tach input tap and wires (with a few options for getting the right signal to the box)

Not sure on a price yet. We need to find out exactly what every cost of every part is going to be. Mix in some instructions, shipping costs and "Vuala" Done!

It also has a simple grounding input from an alarm or toggle switch to make it a Nonfunctioning unit. and like most alarms, if you hit the button while the car is armed, it will not work and will set the alarm off (activate the alarm)

Thanks, Glad you like it and Glad I made it home in one peice.

Dave

today i finally figured out (took me two years) why my car would not rev past 5000rpm. within the past few years i replaced everything ignition related (coil, plugs, plug wires, points, switched to pertronix, new ballast resistor, new distributor), adjusted valves, rebuilt and balanced carbs, new fuel pump, cleared out all fuel lines and checked out for any and all vaccum leaks, replaced everything electrical (60amp alt upgrade, new battery, new interior fusebox) which improved the car drastically but didnt get it past the wall at 5k rpm.

finally i found a thread where someone had a similar problem and found their cam gear was off a tooth. so low and behold i take off the valve cover to check that out, and sure enough it was off by one tooth! after fixing that it fired right up and revved all the way out to 6500rpm easy! the tone of the exhaust has changed drastically and now it finally has the familiar L-series tuned straight six wail. before that it sounded kind of flat, and was gutless.

that put a big smile on my face. finally, now that its running as well (if not better) than it was brand new, bring on the mods!

Edited by MarkS30

Continued my mission of crashing the party at the American Car show circuit in So Cal. Entered two of my Z's in the Escondido Cruisin' Grand car show. Amazingly another guy with a Z showed and we had 3 in a row. There were about 300 cars at the otherwise all US cars show. The response was great. Talked with a number of people who loved the cars and appreciated the stock Z cars

I was approached early on by one of the event organizers. He thanked me for bringing my cars down and said they were a great addition to the show. He also appologized that there were no awards for foreign cars. I'm hoping that if I show up to enough of these that the foreign cars become more accepted. We'll see. It may all be in vain.

Rich

post-19125-14150813924683_thumb.jpg

Continued my mission of crashing the party at the American Car show circuit in So Cal. Entered two of my Z's in the Escondido Cruisin' Grand car show. Amazingly another guy with a Z showed and we had 3 in a row. There were about 300 cars at the otherwise all US cars show. The response was great. Talked with a number of people who loved the cars and appreciated the stock Z cars

I was approached early on by one of the event organizers. He thanked me for bringing my cars down and said they were a great addition to the show. He also appologized that there were no awards for foreign cars. I'm hoping that if I show up to enough of these that the foreign cars become more accepted. We'll see. It may all be in vain.

Rich

It's Never in Vein Rich.

The respect a car deserves and the beauty of said car is all in the eye of the beholder. Not sure if I bring my Z(s) to classic car shows to Show them off, attract attension to the Z car scene or just to wizz off the American Muscle car crowd. But I do know that they ALWAYS get attension from both young and older folks who insist on telling me about a there previous Z, a friend or relative who had one or something along those lines.

I parked near a BEAUTIFUL 32' or 23' T-Bucket Ford at a car show 2 years back. People walked right past it to my car, with a look of "Been there, seen that" on their face, about the Ford. While talking to most of them, I even pointed at the Ford and mentioned how nice it was, only for them to say "Ya, but it seems Every car show has 1, or 10 of them. But how often do people get to see a Nice Classic Z car"

Keep your head up Rich. They Are accepted and will have their place soon enough. Trophies may even be involved at one point or another.

Dave

I took a shot of another Z I see at local show now and then.

post-4921-14150813926197_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813926539_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813927226_thumb.jpg

Well it wasn't today but last week I did the valve guide seals, but it took about three weeks to finally do the job because I could not find that kd tools 3087 valve spring compressor anywhere. I found one on ebay still new in the wrapper for 41.00, as soon as it arrived I got out there and did the job in about 4.5 hours, had to pull the radiator to get a socket on the crank so that took a little more time. I used the rope in the plug hole method, worked perfectly.