IGNORED

[2011] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

Well after 6 yrs of collecting parts and working on my 73, I started it up for the first time today ( I have never heard this car run ). I've done a 2..8 N42 with flat tops, an E-88 head with a C-grind, Mallory dual point distributor with Pertronix II and matching coil, MSA header, and 3 Dell's on a Cannon manifold. I also did the fresh stuff like HV oil pump, water pump, timing kit, ect. After priming the fuel, it fired on the first hit. It stumbles a bit off idle, must be lean but it sure sounds great. Now on to the master cyl to finish off the brakes so I can run it around the block. Maybe I'll do a YouTube later today.

Looking good it will be nice to get her on the road

Got the rust repairs done to the right front shock tower and to the reinforcement panel that rusted out in the right front inner wheel well. Now on to the left dogleg and the two lower quarter panels. I think I see a light at the end of the rust repair tunnel.

Block Rebuild:

- removed bearings, seals, pistons, & crank (all Standard size)

- chased all holes in block with taps

- ball-honed cylinders to de-glaze

- removed rings & cleaned pistons (some top and 2nd rings stuck)

Checked old top ring in bore. 0.93mm gap! yikes!!!!

Checked new top rings 0.40 to 0.50mm gap... outside of spec but better than originals. I don't think the factory did the 0.93 rings.

Old rings have shiny outer edge, new rings are black steel (source Black Dragon)... I guess I should have ordered 1 size larger from BD and filed to get the gap within spec. Live and learn.

Pistons are 83.0mm at skirt and ~82.4mm at top. (0.6mm taper excessive?)

Bores check out with minimal taper.

TIP: for the rear and middle main bearing caps, I threaded a bolt in the centre of the cap and used a block of wood across the engine block and a small crow bar to pry up the caps.

Edited by Blue

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the 30+ year old black paint from the tail light surrounds of my 260Z using 0000 steel wool and a bit of lacquer thinner. It took about 3 hours to completely remove the paint from one surround. Completed one and got half way through the other. Was cursing some nameless PO but thought better of it after seeing the condition of the chrome underneath. It certainly wouldn't have been in this condition without the paint covering it for all those years. Some before and after photos...

post-12393-14150815276716_thumb.jpg

post-12393-14150815276023_thumb.jpg

post-12393-1415081527745_thumb.jpg

post-12393-1415081527803_thumb.jpg