IGNORED

My body repair progress

cozye

It's not hard if you are good with your hands. It's a bit tricky to weld sheet metal, but if you practice on some scrap you can get it dialed in enough to start on the body, and the more tack welds you do the better you get at it.

You hit it on the head you need to practice before you make the weld. I can't tell you how many times I see people turn the welder on and just start right on the project. It's good to have scrap or buy some if you don't have the right thickness it is an art you need the right speed, technique, wire, gas shielding, and settings. It isn't hard just try things out before you start on the project like the $10,000 car instead of the $5 scrap. Besides practice welds can make things tabs and braces to hold things in place, to even door stoppers (I have my first weld on a door stopper).

What is used to protect surrounding areas from sparks given off by the welder? I am a rank beginner welder and last summer set a nearby box on fire and put a few small marks on the paint on the exterior on the lower hatch area from filling in holes using a brass plate on the backside as the PO had a wing mounted there. I tried aluminum foil to protect the paint but the sparks go through that like it wasn't there.

Mike

What is used to protect surrounding areas from sparks given off by the welder? I am a rank beginner welder and last summer set a nearby box on fire and put a few small marks on the paint on the exterior on the lower hatch area from filling in holes using a brass plate on the backside as the PO had a wing mounted there. I tried aluminum foil to protect the paint but the sparks go through that like it wasn't there.

Mike

Nothing. Car is getting painted when the bodywork is done. I can say that with the mig, and proper gas shielding (75/25), I'm getting very little spatter. I do have some copper backing plates, but I've not needed them yet as they are only necessary when weld filling large holes or helping fill a gap. Also I'm doing short tack welds, not a continuous bead. If I had big sparks, then that blanket in the hatch would go up in flames LOL

They do sell some welding blankets at Harbor Freight. Perhaps you could use those ?

Well the bad thing about having a mig welder is that you cant help but pick and pry at any loose undercoating or paint. This started as a dime size loose piece of undercoat that I took a scraper too. Within 5 minutes I knew I had a major repair. This photo is after I wire brushed all the under coat off to expose the damage. Not quite sure what Nissan had in mind when they tack welded a piece of thin sheet metal on top of another. It's obvious that water got sandwiched between the two.

f26d8f92.jpg

The good thing about having a mig welder is that you can fix it..

47edfdef.jpg

Since this is in the wheel well, I'm not to worried about grinding the welds down and smoothing it out. I'll just prime and undercoat over it.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've updated the thread.

I've patched the drivers side dog leg, cut out and welded in new metal. Smoothed out drivers rear quarter, just had some surface rust on the bottom that I was able to clean up with the grinder.

Started on the passenger side rear quarter, I had to cut some metal out and welded in some new metal. On that side both the outer skin and inner skin was rusted through. I cut out a larger section on the outside so I could cut out a smaller section on the inside and patch first. Once that metal was welded in I coated the inside with some encaspulator and patched the outside. I'll put a little plastic on it shortly. I'm going to weld in a new section on the passenger side dogleg before I mix up some plastic filler.

For anyone wondering about fender availability, they are still available. After doing some looking and giving it some thought, I opted for two new front fenders instead of patching my existing ones. I could patch them, but since there is a nice metal support that braces the back side of the fender that is rusted out on mine I just prefer getting some new ones. Saves me a little time and effort, plus the rear support section would still be a pita to deal with, along with the rear bolt hole using patches.

Here are some current pics. I hope to have all the bodywork completed in the next 3 or 4 weeks and will try and hook up with a painter. I'd spray it myself if I had access to a paint booth, but I don't.

7016f552.jpg

ba0cd618.jpg

d687b226.jpg

86c8c7c3.jpg

d36f7405.jpg