IGNORED

First time Z owner

Perfect240Z

No that could be several things but not rich, popping usually means lean. Bad gas or to lean of mixture, stuck valve, bad timing, vacuum leaks, emmisions equipment going bad . . . can cause this. Next time your out their start her up and pull the choke out a little (not all the way) does it go away? If so that means your lean so bad gas, not enough flow, or lean mixture.

Sorry the last post don't mean much now. You have bad gas the engine sounds lean yet your dumping it out the rear. The choke out like it was the engine should have been around 2,400-3,000 RPM yet it was at idle speed. Don't rev the engine to much you might need to re-lash the valves you can do some damage without the proper valve/cam spacing.

Ahhh ok. I'll do that, thought it was the other way. But I did have the air box off so if I put that on would it go away. My lunch ran out so I didn't get a chance, if it's timing that would def make sense that thebladt owner botched putting the wires back the right way. But I'll have to check that tomorrow maybe, if that gas gauge was right it looked like the gas was low on it so I can now drop the tank and drain it and refill with better new gas. :)

Good thing i just let her idle, after she was warmed up I could step on it and she would rev a little with no choke on and she didn't die, but yeah bad gas is something that I know about. I had some in a cup today from the floats and I had a friend put his cig in some of it and it didnt even lite! LOL

Getting the gas out is not hard their is a drain plug on the tank. Don't worry about every little drop you just need to get most of it out, and get new gas in. I want you to get her running so you can get the fluids changed, and flush the coolant system out. I don't want you doing that near the dogs antifreeze and dogs don't mix

Man what a clean car you got want to trade? :tapemouth Is that a yes? What a nice car you got don't use cheap parts on her try to keep it all Nissan parts it will be worth it, and keep in clean. You might want to get some fender protectors she has what looked to be nice paint and I'd hate to see a tool damage it

Getting the gas out is not hard their is a drain plug on the tank. Don't worry about every little drop you just need to get most of it out, and get new gas in. I want you to get her running so you can get the fluids changed, and flush the coolant system out. I don't want you doing that near the dogs antifreeze and dogs don't mix

Man what a clean car you got want to trade? :tapemouth Is that a yes? What a nice car you got don't use cheap parts on her try to keep it all Nissan parts it will be worth it, and keep in clean. You might want to get some fender protectors she has what looked to be nice paint and I'd hate to see a tool damage it

I don't want to use cheap parts. The only thing cheap i used was the coil but that's only till I get her going and I'll change it to msd. I wanted to buy some fender protectors but I haven't had the chance to order it, I do work at a dog daycare after all LOL. I think I'll be able to drain the tank this weekend with a friend so once I do that and put the new air filter on I'll see how she sounds. I want to order the ztherapy DVD fir su carbs. Unless they fix it for you LOL:)

Looks like a very clean, low VIN Series I example.

I wonder if your clients knew that they gave you a $5,000.00 to $6,000.00 Gift? At the very least they should never have to pay to have their dog cared for again.! The wheels alone are worth a grand!

Simply amazing... a car you can enjoy for the next 40 years! Make sure you have it properly insured and keep it in a secure storage when not driven - too many of them are getting stolen these days.

Good luck with it...

Carl B.

While ordering the DVD get your self a sycrometer (sp?), and some new gaskets for the carbs. I bet they could take a good taking apart and cleaning. also pickup some 30 or 20 non detergent oil for the dash pots. You will understand when you watch the video. When you go to take them a part, get a cake pan and some news paper this will help little parts from going all over as you disassemble the carbs.

Just as bad as you want to rebuild the carbs you need to even more lash the valves it isn't had and you should do it every year. The reason is these engines are flat tapped cams, if the lashing is not right you can damage a lobe on the cam, break a valve and so on. Look in the manual you got it will walk you through this, it's not so good on the carbs I heard the DVD is good.

Also don't forget the timing, and flushing out the coolant. Theirs a plug on drivers side of the bock for flushing out the block make sure you do that the water pumps in these cars are easy to damage with lac of care. Flush this car till nothing but clean water comes out, in every posable direction. Make sure to replace the thermostat also Sitting cars create rust in the water jackets will plug the radiator and engine plus jam the pump . . . This will save you from sitting on the side of the road with a over heating engine.

Carl that car might be worth more than that I would have paid that and maybe more I was thinking with the right buy you might fetch 8,000-9,000 and once in well working condition maybe 15-16,000

Is my car really worth that much?! No way?! I figured maybe like 2grand or so. I'm going to work on her a bit this weekend. Oil up my new filter and put it back on, get her some new gas! Then I'll see if she starts up way better then before. If she still backfires I'm assuming that the timing is off. But would it be at the dist. Or would I have to check tdc? Cause if that's the case I'll have to check it with a timing lite and I'll have to go rent one. I want to change all my fluids in the car radiator,oil, tranny clutch fluid is low. I want to give her a wash too and start doing some detailing inside the car. Last owner cut out just regular black carpet and put it in the back of the car and is running a wire to the electric antenna from the radio to the antenna under the seats and then under the carpet. Kind of rediculous.

Dam I should have made a $3,000 offer paid to have it shippedLOL Just a joke I don't realy have the storage to have two cars to be working on I need to finish one before I get another. With yours I might just do preservation work get her running well and repair what wasn't original or period correct. I'm not the guy that likes everything new I like a little age. That means more maintenance not just buying a new alternator, but repairing the old, taking old switches and making repairs inside.

I'd adjust the valves (lashing) this weekend, then change the oil. You take the valve cover off to do this and it make for a good time to clean the gunk off the top of the head and valve cover, then change the oil that way anything you got in the oil galleries and into the pan gets drained out.