IGNORED

First time Z owner

Perfect240Z

Had a minor set back today. My freakin reg car is now broken for unknown reasons. Gotta get my sentra working before u continue on the Z. If I get my parts in sooner on the z and that runs it will be my daily driver LOL lame.... Why does life have to be so hard?

Had a minor set back today. My freakin reg car is now broken for unknown reasons. Gotta get my sentra working before u continue on the Z. If I get my parts in sooner on the z and that runs it will be my daily driver LOL lame.... Why does life have to be so hard?

Life is hard to make OK times great times because you know you can have it a lot worce

Yes!! Got my new NGk wires, bought a new ignition coil, my new ballast resistor will be in the mail box at home today, new dist cap new rotor, if It these don't get me spark then I might be out of ideas. All of these will be installed most likely tomorrow. Got a new box of stuff from the last owners finding it in the garage. Box contained a chiltons manual, mechanical fuel pump, a gasket of some kind brand new, records from the last last owner purchasing parts, a nifty book on after market parts and part numbers for all Z's don't remember the name of the book at this very moment, and a brand new in box 240z model kit the shrink rap is still intact.

She's almost their!! Have spark again! She cranks and starts to turn over but doesn't fully starts. Some smoke spit out of the engine though. I have the air box off right now to change the filter and that's when I tried to start her. Don't know if that makes a difference?

The car will run without an air cleaner just be careful not to such things in you don't want in the engine

Great and on we go one more problem out of the way. If it is turning and getting smoke that isn't a bad thing. You stated she starts to turn over what is she doing in more detail does it start to sputter, start running then die right after . . .?

Next time spray some starting fluid or fuel into the carb and try to start it. By the way did you get some fresh fuel for it yet or are we trying to start on what came with the car? If you did not change the fuel do something for me before adding starting fluid to the carb take and pour fresh gas into the float breather tubes this will fill the float chambers. Then try to start the car if the car runs for 30 seconds or longer then you need new gas no and ifs or buts. If it still won't start spray down the carbs, then try. Let us know what it is doing while trying to start that will be our clue to what is not working from timing to something else.

She starts to sputter and then dies. And that's when the smoke came out of the engine. Didn't know if that was bad. What I'll do tomorrow is empty the float bowls in case I flooded it? And then try again. I'm not sure what to do with the choke and throttle control lever. How far should I pull them up too? All the way till the engine starts? I'm also wondering if someone messed up the spark plug wires goig to the dist. I followed and plugged them in one at a time when switching them today. Could you send me a pic or tell me if I can look at the photo in the fsm and switch it to that if it's wrong?

Choke should be fully engaged to start a cold engine. Make sure the nozzles are lowering about 3/8" from the bottom of the carb and then return back up to their nominal position when the level is returned.

You shouldn't have to move the throttle.

Edited by Gary in NJ

I don't think you flooded it, I think you are starving it. Sputters are low fuel or bad spark (sometimes flooding and engine will sputter, but you just turn it over two or three times and that will be solved if that is the case). Gas will be poring out the carbs if you flooded it, it takes a lot.

Spray some starting fluid into the carb now instead of draining the floats fill them up with fresh gas and give it a try pull the choke back. You will be rich but you should start

I hope the picture will help that you asked for. If you hooked them up wrong you will soon know when it starts. Have you gotten a timing light if it gets to running you might need it.

post-7115-14150813282956_thumb.jpg