IGNORED

First time Z owner

Perfect240Z

Worked on the car today during lunch and after work. Got the older distributor back together and the condenser fixed and installed with some good sanding done to the oxidized areas till i get my dremel over there. I have the air box off and the filter is so black that im just going to pick up a new one maybe tomorrow. I am going to ee if I can p/u some ngk plugs with wires, new dist. cap and rotor. All this to be done before i pick the wife up for lunch LOL:)

Very nice score on the early Z!! You'll love it, I'm sure. My advise, make sure you repair everything right the first time. Don't bother with cheap imitations, buy Nissan/Datsun brands and pay for the real Datsun mechanic (if you can't do it yourself).

Mike

• Like 1

Very nice score on the early Z!! You'll love it, I'm sure. My advise, make sure you repair everything right the first time. Don't bother with cheap imitations, buy Nissan/Datsun brands and pay for the real Datsun mechanic (if you can't do it yourself).

Mike

I'll Def take to a datsun mechanic, the Z garage is near my work. Im following the haynes and I just got the factory service manual in the mail. On order-New NGK plugs and wires, air filter(I know that doesn't help with the no spark issue, she still needs a new one) And today I will be buying a new coil during lunch to put in when all my plugs and wires come through. If she still doesn't spark, then im down to the ignition system. Last owner upgraded it so it doesn't have I think its a relay? Anyways hopefully that will do it.

Now you got new filters you can clean the old ones and have them ready in a plastic bag. All you need is a small dishpan and some warm soap and water. let them soak. You may have to change the soapy water out a couple times and then "gently" blow them off a little and let them dry. Then re-oil. Don't use much oil. It will spread out after you spray a little. Also there is a drain plug on the gas tank but not much fun if it is full. On my sons I ran it really low and drained it. Water will settle to the bottom . I changed the filter and you could tap it and lots of crud came out. We are getting ready to do it again. When you do the cap and rotor grab the rotor and make sure it will twist one way about 10 degrees and snap back freely. My sons wouldn't and I just sprayed wd-40 under the breaker plate and worked it back and forth till it freed up. Don't worry about using wd-40 it won't hurt anything. Good luck. Looks really nice.

I'll Def take to a datsun mechanic, the Z garage is near my work. Im following the haynes and I just got the factory service manual in the mail. On order-New NGK plugs and wires, air filter(I know that doesn't help with the no spark issue, she still needs a new one) And today I will be buying a new coil during lunch to put in when all my plugs and wires come through. If she still doesn't spark, then im down to the ignition system. Last owner upgraded it so it doesn't have I think its a relay? Anyways hopefully that will do it.

It would not be bad to have the Datsun Mechanic do a full tune up, and really clean her up. Once it is running well learn how to work on it then, trust me you will have projects for several years, getting the this and that's fixed.

Now you got new filters you can clean the old ones and have them ready in a plastic bag. All you need is a small dishpan and some warm soap and water. let them soak. You may have to change the soapy water out a couple times and then "gently" blow them off a little and let them dry. Then re-oil. Don't use much oil. It will spread out after you spray a little. Also there is a drain plug on the gas tank but not much fun if it is full. On my sons I ran it really low and drained it. Water will settle to the bottom . I changed the filter and you could tap it and lots of crud came out. We are getting ready to do it again. When you do the cap and rotor grab the rotor and make sure it will twist one way about 10 degrees and snap back freely. My sons wouldn't and I just sprayed wd-40 under the breaker plate and worked it back and forth till it freed up. Don't worry about using wd-40 it won't hurt anything. Good luck. Looks really nice.

I know I can re oil the k&n filters and wash them, but the filter is damaged in some parts. Its bent and smashed in some spots so I feel it better to just buy my own and start from when I put it in so I know what work I do. When I get the car running(and move into the house my wife and I are looking for LOL) I'll get the car home and start getting into my little projects. Just gotta get her going so I can get her verified by the chp to get her registered.

It would not be bad to have the Datsun Mechanic do a full tune up, and really clean her up. Once it is running well learn how to work on it then, trust me you will have projects for several years, getting the this and that's fixed.

Yeah, I've always tried to do things myself because a part of me doesn't trust mechanics. I like the mechanic I have now because he tells me in full detail of what he does and shows me on my car. But he's not a Z mechanic, I might ask him to take a look at it because he's really good and close to me, the closest Z garage is in San jose and I have a feeling they will charge me up the arse to do a tune up. Now Carbs on the other hand I'll get that done for sure because I don't trust myself measuring the fuel in the bowls LOL.

I don't know i this would prevent the car from sparking, but I took off my resistor to clean off the oxidization for better current and the wire wrapped portion is broken so I don't know if that would prevent the car from sparking, I still think it's my coil so I'm just going to order those two parts tonight.

I had the resistor go out you bet it will stop your car. It won't work without it. If you want to save some cash the MSD Blaster II coil sells for around $35 at the parts store and has the same output numbers of the factory coil. It also matches the air cleaner.

I was going to change that as well, but it says on the msd site said not to use the ballast resistor, and thats what is broken for sure in center of the little coil. did you use ballast or not?

Yes I did use the MSD coil on my 72 with a ballast resistor with no problems. Now you would not want to use the MSD multi spark box with that resistor. The coil and resistor went about the same time the resistor about two days after the coil, bad week the coil went out on the highway and coasted off the highway next to a auto-part store. The resistor went out near the Z shop in Lakewood, so I got a used original.

Yes I did use the MSD coil on my 72 with a ballast resistor with no problems. Now you would not want to use the MSD multi spark box with that resistor. The coil and resistor went about the same time the resistor about two days after the coil, bad week the coil went out on the highway and coasted off the highway next to a auto-part store. The resistor went out near the Z shop in Lakewood, so I got a used original.

Ahhh ok. I just ordered a new OEM Replacement, it was only like 20 bucks. I did find a new coil that was 9 bucks but I could go for the MSD one. doesn't it come with different ohms? like 1.5 or 3.0?