IGNORED

First time Z owner

Perfect240Z

Just 6-7cc of oil will do in each piston.

SO it did fire that is good to know if you didn't mess anything up you have spark :)

Now we can go to fuel supply. First I bet you have resin build-up in the float chamber and fuel pump, very common for sitting cars. By the way pick up several new fuel filters you will be surprised how much junk builds up in a two year sitting car. I'm betting you have the original mechanical fuel pump, get a bucket and run the engine and see if your getting gas from the pump. Yes then proceed to the float chambers (be careful on the screws I don't think you can get original style ones anymore). This is a carb part so don't fell bad to tell me you don't know what something is, I would greatly appreciate that so we don't waist time. Their are 4 screws on top of the float remove and gently lift, their are thin parts that deal with adjustment and a glass bearing in the valve. clean the valve. on the side were the hose connects take that a part their is a screen inside clean it. if the float gets in the way carefully remove the pin that it rotates on you don't want to drop the float. put it back together and add alittle fuel to the float. Then see if she starts.

If she starts don't run it for long or drive it yet you can do some damage. You will need to re-lash the valves (if the valve lashing is way off you can do damage to the valves and the cam). and clean up the carb dashpots. Lets do the ego boost and get her to start first

I'd also recommend getting a copy of the factory service manual, you can find copies on CD and in paper.

I do have a Haynes manual, I was given that with the car. I switched out the fuel filter already to see if the pump was working. The new fuel filter has fuel in it from me trying to start it a couple times so I think the pump is working if there's fuel in the filter. I don't know if the last owner was driving and the car died or if the car just didn't start anymore. Im assuming that it just didn't start because it was already in his garage and i don't think he could push it in by himself up a driveway. I'll tackle the carbs on the sunny day and cleaning the air filter. This rain is so not fun to make me wait.:disappoin

If you've turned it over (started it with starting spray) you've already moved the pistons in the cylinders. It's a good idea to change all the fluids if it's been sitting a couple years. The gas is probably quite icky by now.

Don't forget the brake fluid and clutch cylinder fluid. You may find that you have leaks at/in the master cylinder, brake cylinders, or clutch cylinders. You don't want to find out that the brakes are bad during that first spirited run when you finally get it started. I speak from experience with too many underused older cars. :stupid:

Dennis

I don't think I have a leak in the master cylinder, but I don't if the lines are old enough to just break while im driving:stupid: Once i get her running I can see how the breaks are at my work since I have a small parking lot thats closed to the public. I'll be changing all the fluids when the time comes....Im on crutches so my mobility is off LOL:cry:

I have several versions of Haynes, Chiltons, and several others, don't ask how I got some of them even I don't know. Trust me get the factory manual you won't be sorry. It will be one of the best purchases you can make for this car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-240Z-WORKSHOP-REPAIR-SERVICE-MANUAL-CD-/130464738476?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item1e604decac

http://www.zcarcreations.com/cdman/cdman.htm

I have several versions of Haynes, Chiltons, and several others, don't ask how I got some of them even I don't know. Trust me get the factory manual you won't be sorry. It will be one of the best purchases you can make for this car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-240Z-WORKSHOP-REPAIR-SERVICE-MANUAL-CD-/130464738476?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item1e604decac

http://www.zcarcreations.com/cdman/cdman.htm

Wow the one on eBay is 14.95 and the other is 79.95. I think i will order this, the Haynes manual is good but it's not to user friendly to me. It's for a 240,260, and 280 and they are probably mildly different. I'll order mine tonight and hopefully get it before Xmas so i have time to research and plan when a sunny day hits me.

What is a little rain? I worked over night once with no heater on my car to find out the next day it was below -10 that night. The location I was using at that time, not any more, the choice was light or heat, and I didn't want to work in the dark. Beside rain just means you get wet, I bet when you were a kid that would not stop you from playing ;)

No it is good to hear you want to work on the car otherwise why have it these cars can be simple but they need some work from time to time. Just wait you will be putting parts and tools on the Christmas list and nothing else till someone forces you to. A good car-cover is worth it, don't go cheap when you get one get a nice fitted one.

What is a little rain? I worked over night once with no heater on my car to find out the next day it was below -10 that night. The location I was using at that time, not any more, the choice was light or heat, and I didn't want to work in the dark. Beside rain just means you get wet, I bet when you were a kid that would not stop you from playing ;)

No it is good to hear you want to work on the car otherwise why have it these cars can be simple but they need some work from time to time. Just wait you will be putting parts and tools on the Christmas list and nothing else till someone forces you to. A good car-cover is worth it, don't go cheap when you get one get a nice fitted one.

I already added asked for parts(I.E. AutoZone GC) for xmas to get her running haha. I just didn't want the rain to get in the engine if I worked on it. Id feel bad, I actually didn't get a car cover because I heard those increase rusting because it keeps the moisture on the car so it will rust faster. Unless theres a cover that is water resistant and moisture resistant.

I already added asked for parts(I.E. AutoZone GC) for xmas to get her running haha. I just didn't want the rain to get in the engine if I worked on it. Id feel bad, I actually didn't get a car cover because I heard those increase rusting because it keeps the moisture on the car so it will rust faster. Unless theres a cover that is water resistant and moisture resistant.

Yes that is why I stated a nice cover no cheap ones. MSA is quick on getting parts out when you need them. I had a bit of falling out with them a few years back when they went through a staff change, and don't rely on them as much