esprist

JDM Headlight cover difference.

Besides the bad things going on in today's world , I have a question that may distract the interested in this topic ! :)

I have finally obtained a set of covers ( thanks Gira on ebay Thailand ! )

These are the 3 screw , ''early'' or ''prototype" style from what I gather what Kats was describing . So here it is : Did these require the mounting ''blocks'' or were these fastened directly to the headlight ''nacel'' sp? The way they fit so tightly and how they sit , it seems that a fastener installed directly into the bodywork may give a better fit , I don't know . Was there a part number for the 3 screw covers that described the mounting hardware ?

I haven't drilled any holes yet , I just laid one on to see how it looked/fitted .

Thanks for any response ! :)

^ I totally missed 26thZ's pics of the 3 tab early mounting hardware.

Well unless I missed something my question is answered ! ;)

Today's repro covers don't fit the early "plastic"/fiberglass buckets properly. They'll fit the steel buckets, though.

I have a set of covers I bought 40 years ago and wanted to replace them (or use modern repros to save them) and the new ones leave about a 1" gap between the cover and bucket near the headlamp.

So, if anyone is planning on buying repros, keep that in mind.

^ I have an early car, Jan / 1970 vin 538 , so that would probably explain the nice fit.

My scoops are plastic , so the early 3 screw covers sit really well ! :)

I have a set of covers I bought 40 years ago and wanted to replace them (or use modern repros to save them) and the new ones leave about a 1" gap between the cover and bucket near the headlamp.

An INCH!?

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this. How can there be a 1" gap when you try fitting the repro covers on the OEM FRP / moulded plastic fender extensions / 'sugar scoops', and no gap on the steel versions?

Can you explain in more detail please?

All I can tell you is from what I observed when trying to fit the new covers and what my vendor said regarding the "problems" when fitted to 'glass buckets versus steel buckets.

When fit flush with the "nose" of the bucket, there's a half-inch gap at the top and an inch gap at the bottom side.

Frank

Frank,

I'm still nonplussed. I don't see how there can be such a big difference between the OEM FRP and OEM steel panels.

This thread is about the OEM ( 'factory' ) option / accessory headlamp covers with the plexiglass lenses and steel channel trims around the outside of them, and which fit on the outside of the fender extension / sugar scoop.

You're not talking about the north American aftermarket / non OEM, perspex / acrylic covers that are designed to fit flush with the body by any chance....?

That explains it.

We've been discussing the Nissan-manufactured trim-ringed type covers and reproductions thereof, not the type you have.

On ‎2010‎年‎11‎月‎28‎日 at 8:50 AM, Carl Beck said:

I've marked Kat's drawing - with some notes. The "new style" / "old style" used in the discussion seemed confusing to me. So does "earlier" and "later" - -

My OEM/NOS set, packaged in the brown box, marked with the 63900-E4126 & 63901-E4126 numbers are the "new style" on Kat's noted drawing. They have black rubber & the OEM mounting hardware.

Looking at Ron's trim rings - I'd say his are also the new style - according to Kat's drawing noted.

In the original Post - the headlight cover sitting on the new Red/white/blue box - would seem to be the Old Style - as noted in Kats drawings. {the front mounting hole is only a couple inches from the top edge}.

Do I have kat's drawing marked wrong??

FWIW,

Carl

post-3609-14150812871449_thumb.jpg

Thanks Carl, it was 7 years ago you added note on my sketch.

Now I tend to think like this, " NEW STYLE" is earlier than "OLD STYLE" ,  after seeing and reading all of our sources.

NEW STYLE will be  E4100/E4126,  OLD STYLE will be E8726.

As I said before, people in Japan believe OLD STYLE was a ploblem of cracking lens, so Nissan changed NEW STYLE to prevent cracking.

But I think it would not be correct, Nissan might made NEW STYLE first, then people had a problem of accumurating moisture inside of lens.

Nissan might took action to prevent moisture coming in the lens, so they changed screw position.

Attached picture assists my guess, please see the part number " E8731" and this head lamp case has pre-drilled  OLD STYLE screw position.

We know E87xx is later number than E4xxx.

If OLD STYLE screw position is earlier , then why this head lamp case has E8731 ? And also why NEW STYLE cover / trim ring has E4126 ?

What do you think of it ?

Or are we already clear of this issue ?

Kats 

eitoshi8104-img600x450-1354081689nvandi15593.jpg

eitoshi8104-img600x450-13540816441hlznf16548.jpg

eitoshi8104-img600x450-1354081608p8tif812548.jpg

Thanks Chris and Blue, no , the cases is someone's property, I just saved pictures in my laptop.

Seeing the Fairlady parts catalog , pre-drilled cases made a debut at the same time when Fairlady-240Z-L  (HS30) went on sale.  HS30 has lamp covers as a STD equipment . Fairlady-240Z (HS30S ) does not. Fairlady-240ZG (HS30H ) has covers G-nose version as you already know.

Kats

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4525.JPG

Edited by kats

what year is this sales flyer from? i.e when did the JDM move from the S30, 2.0L engine to the 2.4L engine? 

1 hour ago, scotta said:

what year is this sales flyer from? i.e when did the JDM move from the S30, 2.0L engine to the 2.4L engine?

They didn't move from the 2 litre engine to the 2.4 litre engine. What happened was that three different L24-engined HS30-prefixed models were added to the existing two L20A-engined and two S20-engined models in October 1971, giving Japan a choice of no less than seven distinct S30-series Z models at that point. 

The brochure above corresponds with the October 1971 release of the L24-engined models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1