IGNORED

23k mile 1972 in Seattle area

Mike B

I just saw this one listed on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-240-1972-Datsun-Orange-240Z-Immaculate-Mint-Condition-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4152df2d8aQQitemZ280563232138QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks. It looks totally stock and in great shape. I'll be interested to see what it sells for, if it meets the buyers reserve price.

-Mike

Edited by Mike B

looks great, but I question the mileage.

My knowledge is not the best by any means, but I see a few things in the pictures that say repaint to me - but none the less, still another outstanding car (but I could be wrong).

I will leave it to the true experts to pick it apart..

looks great, but I question the mileage.

My knowledge is not the best by any means, but I see a few things in the pictures that say repaint to me - but none the less, still another outstanding car (but I could be wrong).

I will leave it to the true experts to pick it apart..

What specifically makes you question the mileage and think it has been repainted? Even it was repainted, that wouldn't necessarily decrease the value if it was done well.

-Mike

I wonder whiere this car is. I live in Renton too. This my be worth a look....

Go look - take a digital camera - and report back - soon enough that it would do anyone any good...

Is it a repaint?

Is it 23K miles? (documentation?)

In any case you would be helping either the seller or a potential buyer...

Just a thought,

Carl B.

If you look at the pictures you can see over spray on some of the black spacers etc. it has been repainted. Makes you wonder about the mileage. A true 20k miles car should not require a repaint.

Hello Manny. Just to clarify, are you talking about the rubber spacers mounted on the fenders that contact the hood when it is shut, as seen in the close-up photos of the windshield washer bottle and the battery?

Out of curiousity, I looked at those spacers on my '71, which has had no paint work done from the firewall forward. There is some orange coloration evident on those spacers on my car. (My car is the same color as the ebay car being discussed). And looking closely at the hood, there are perfectly coinciding wear marks where the hood wing contacts the spacer, to the point where I can actually see metal in some spots. I've attached a photo from my car below.

I'm not saying the car is or isn't a repaint. I am saying if some coloration on the black rubber fender spacers is the concern being pointed out, there may be a plausible explanation for it other than a repaint.

Gary S.

post-9354-14150812187637_thumb.jpg

If you look at the pictures you can see over spray on some of the black spacers etc. it has been repainted. Makes you wonder about the mileage. A true 20k miles car should not require a repaint.

I think what you are seeing is a combination of the black rubber reflecting the orange paint in a couple of spots and just some dust on a couple of others. I don't think you can conclude it has been repainted based on the pictures shown.

Low mileage cars can still need a repaint after 40 years, especially colors like reds and orange that seem to fade more quickly than other colors. My 40K mile red 1972 was repainted before I got it and Arne repainted his red car with 50 or 60K miles.

The bidding is up to $12,200 now with 5 days left, so it looks like the seller has a pretty high reserve and the interest is also pretty high. Hopefully it sells for a good price.

I would go look at the car in person if someone on the site was seriously interested, but I'll be out of town for the weekend and probably won't have time next week before the auction ends.

-Mike

post-9102-14150812188322_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150812188658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike B

I guess the things for me are the head gasket seepage, repaint on brake booster, and what looks like a possible rust hole below the clutch cylinder.

Don't get me wrong, still a great car, and better either of mine by any stretch of the imagination. If I had the money and was near by, I would consider it. I hope someone is happy with their new purchase.