IGNORED

23k mile 1972 in Seattle area

Mike B

Also, regarding the comment about low mileage cars not needing a repaint, just because cars are low mileage doesn't mean they are perfect or the interiors or exteriors can't be faded. Here are a couple of pictures of the white interior panels of Mark's 1972, to show how much the white interior panels can fade, even on a 4,400 mile car. Mark's car is also a Gold Medallion winner.

-Mike

post-9102-141508121946_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150812195254_thumb.jpg

Never ceases to amaze me how these special cars keep showing up. I just recently bought my 73 with 41,000 original documented miles......the owner sold it so he could purchase another same color 73 with 6,000 original documented miles. Wow!

Yeah, I was surprised to see both this one and the yellow 71 that was on the Seattle craigslist a couple of times with 19K I think? I had never heard of either one and that is just in the Seattle area, so imagine what is hidden away in some garages around the country.

I almost wouldn't want to own a 6K mile car though. You couldn't really even drive it without bringing the value way down. I think I heard a commentator on one of the Barrett Jackson auctions say some people restore a car to 100pts, then drive it until it gets down to 80 or 90 points and then sell it and buy another. Maybe the same would apply.

-Mike

I tend to agree Mike. I figure there's probably a sweet spot in there somewhere. My car (with 59k when I bought it) might have been pretty close. Low enough that it was still exceptionally clean and original, but not so low that I was afraid to drive it.

Since I like to drive my cars (not store and preserve them), the 23k of the car in question - if confirmed - would be on the low side for my comfort. But since numerous parts (especially plated parts under the hood) show a bit of age from long-term storage in a humid climate, I think I could justify driving this one and not worrying too much about the miles I was putting on it.

I think I heard a commentator on one of the Barrett Jackson auctions say some people restore a car to 100pts, then drive it until it gets down to 80 or 90 points and then sell it and buy another. Maybe the same would apply.

Isn't that the whole point of owning a car; to drive it.

I once knew a man (who is now deceased) that owned a collection of vintage aircraft (YQC-6 & UPF-7 Waco's, Stearman, Beech Staggerwing to name a few). He would regulatory take me flying with him to have a second pilot on board. One day I asked him "aren't you concerned to put all of this time on aircraft that can't be easily repaired or replaced?" His reply;

"These things were made to fly, not to be looked at in some museum."

Don't loose sight of why we love these cars. They're fun.

Looking back at the ebay ad, the seller has added a few more pictures and comments. It looks like the windshield has a ding in it. Not sure if that could be fixed or not. There is also a rip on the back of one of the seats shown now. He also added a picture of the "original tires" and says the are "Delta" brand tires. Obviously not original. He also shows a picture of some Bridgestones that are on the car now with the slot wheels, which he says are not originals. Those Bridgestones are 175 HR 14s, but I can't tell if they are RD-150s or not. My 5/72 has a Toyo spare that is original, but I think the 72s could come with either the Toyos or the RD-150s.

Bidding is up to $16,100 now.

-Mike

My 5/72 has a Toyo spare that is original, but I think the 72s could come with either the Toyos or the RD-150s.

Bidding is up to $16,100 now.

-Mike

To confirm your assumption, this RD-150 was in the spare tire well of the '72 I picked up a while ago.

post-9354-14150812196636_thumb.jpg

He also shows a picture of some Bridgestones that are on the car now with the slot wheels, which he says are not originals. Those Bridgestones are 175 HR 14s, but I can't tell if they are RD-150s or not. My 5/72 has a Toyo spare that is original, but I think the 72s could come with either the Toyos or the RD-150s.
Mike, yes, those are RD150s on the slot mags. My guess is that the mags were bought with the Deltas many years ago, but after driving them for some time, the owner then decided that the original Bridgestones drove better and swapped them from rim to rim. The documentation of that later swap may be missing, which is why the seller has the tire provenance backwards.