IGNORED

Gunk or something in gas tank!

Decoy12

Hey cygnusx1, It had actually come off the first time when I removed the tank because the hose was stuck to it. The guy that did the cleaning said that he would solder it before it got coated because he warned me that after its coated you couldnt apply heat to it. I work at a hardware store so ill pick up an epoxy or maybe a jb weld just in case. I'll call the guy to let him know that the piece he soldered came off LOL

I would take it back to the guy that "soldered" it and have him repair it properly.

I think he didn't solder it at all, that might explain why it "just came off". Properly soldered would have held.

Don't use an epoxy paste. While JB Weld might work for a while, I don't know for how long it would CONTINUE to work. There are other epoxies out there which have been used and claim to be fuel-proof which might be spendier but better suited for this job. POR's Epoxy is one.

However, I still think the guy you paid to do the job should be the one to take first crack at repairing it.

2¢

E

I think he didn't solder it at all, that might explain why it "just came off".

While JB Weld might work for a while, I don't know for how long it would CONTINUE to work.

However, I still think the guy you paid to do the job should be the one to take first crack at repairing it.

E

Hey Escanlon, definitely true about him not doing it properly... it came off very "smoothly"... i can only describe it as "peeling" off LOL. Anyway tomorrow I have a few hours before class so I will contact the guy about it. I will also find out if jb is gas proof or not, although I'm sure it won't be 100% since gas eats through alot...

hey g9m3c thanks for sharing your pictures... looks like a lot of rust and build up there, it also looks like a lot of work! Looking back at Jeff's pictures as well as yours, my tank didnt look that bad on the half with the fuel level sender, but rather all the build up was on the far side.

I've cleaned a couple by removing the tank and cleaning with a pressure washer. Then a rinse with a bit of muriatic acid. Neither of the tanks I cleaned had any major rust or holes, so I simply re-installed back into the car. No problems with either one so far.

As for the fitting, take a look at the auto parts store, they will likely have an epoxy for gas tank repair. While soldering would be an "authentic" fix, a cold weld with a fuel tank epoxy should do fine.

Thanks for the advice Kenny, I will look into that tomorrow since theres an autozone next to work. If not theres a kragen (o'reilly) and a napa by my house. I tried with the pressure washer twice but like i mentioned the build up was on the narrow side of the tank and since it has the single outlet it was hard to clean it. Then it got rusty LOL but I had it cleaned by the radiator shop so its good now. Tried to get it in by myself today but didnt have much luck. I will try again tomorrow with a friend. Plus i need to buy bug spray I found black widows under my zed :(

The best insect and arachnid spray I have ever used is either 'carb cleaner' or 'electric motor cleaner' in a spray can. Its instantanious, always around the shop, no oily residue or strange smell. The flying insects, mostly wasps, will drop like rocks. I think it gums up their carbs. :)

Bonzi Lon