IGNORED

Who needs rubber?

conedodger

It is good to start with something simple. I think everyone who tries something grand just gets burned. The rear hatch is a good one, how about the rubber behind the door locks or some of the parts that were sold with the rubber (and not sepeate from the part like the rubber on the door handles) that are NLA? Another idea is to look at parts that wear out that are NLA like maybe the molded vacuum lines to the brake booster.

If he will do more than rubber, what about remaking the battery cables, or some of the switches that are NLA, even the resistor for the heater fan for example. These are simple parts that just don't exist any more

I wish you luck and let us know which parts you are looking for, I might even have that part.

I had not seen that thread. I certainly don't want to step on any toes. We don't intend to try to make money at it. I am just trying to fix my car up. Perhaps if he gets back on track with this, we can coordinate.

I need taillight seals too. Anyone have a NOS set to use for reverse engineering?

I don't think you'd be stepping on any toes. No one has the market cornered on making reproduction parts, and as far as I am concerned, the more the better. My suggestion would be to just pick one part, start it, complete it, and then move on to another part if you still have a desire. Try to start too many projects at once, and you may wind up not getting any of them done. I have previously let people borrow parts to make molds from and not heard anything back in over a year, so things like that have made me skeptical. I may have a NOS set of taillight seals put away (I can't remember if I put the only set on my blue car or not), but reproduction seals are also available from aftermarket suppliers currently.

Also, another member posted this link http://www.vintagerubber.com/240z.aspx to another source for reproduction rubber parts recently, in case you didn't see that. Good luck!

-Mike

Edited by Mike B

We can do complex. Mark has a standard to which he adheres. If he can't make it just as good or better, he will not do it. Here is a seal that was unavailable (sort of) Porsche showed 11 of them in the system but it must have been a glitch. They listed at $450 and had a metal clip that rusted causing some swelling in the area where the clip was located. Mark made it with an aluminum clip and sells it for $199 which is just a few bucks more than they cost to make.

post-16545-14150811215788_thumb.jpg

Overwhelmed! Mark and I plan to start with something simple and go from there. Thanks for the suggestions. Again, what we need is for someone who has NOS parts to let us borrow them for a period to do measurements and technical drawings. You get them back unharmed. Let me know what you have and we can make some arrangements. That diff strap sounds like a good part to work on. I am going to remove mine, but I worry that by using a used part for measurement, I risk that it has stretched or shrunk etc...

Overwhelmed! Mark and I plan to start with something simple and go from there. Thanks for the suggestions. Again, what we need is for someone who has NOS parts to let us borrow them for a period to do measurements and technical drawings. You get them back unharmed. Let me know what you have and we can make some arrangements. That diff strap sounds like a good part to work on. I am going to remove mine, but I worry that by using a used part for measurement, I risk that it has stretched or shrunk etc...

I think I have a diff strap that was only used for about 5,000 miles. You can use that if you want.

Let me know and I can mail it to you.

Marty