IGNORED

Car Security

Daishi_GD

Matt,

Welcome to the classic Z club. I didn't notice it was your first post this morning. Good looking a car.

I would treat your Z as you would any other car but keep in mind the following; it is a rare vehicle. Since you've chosen to make it a daily driver, you accept the risks associated with that type of use; i.e damage from door dings, shopping carts, people placing stuff on it and yes, theft and vandalism.

In my garage, my Z is as safe as all of my other possessions. When outside, I don't let it out of my sight.

Some people use battery cut off switches or you can take the battery out altogether when you get home.

I saw a comedy program that spoofed "The Club" with an actual club sandwich that no thief could resist. With the mayo in the sandwich and the fact it has been sitting in the sun, the would be thief becomes violently ill and is unable to steal the car! There was also something about a trunk monkey that would come out and beat up anyone breaking into the car. I guess it was funnier when I watched it. :)

carl

Hey Matt - I'm in Victoria . Anyway I can say a good pager alarm - the Viper can also start your car with the iphone app ! Other than that , if you park it outside you're screwed . Good luck and welcome ! :)

With your question re-phrased our tone will change remarkedly, as you can see.

In descending order by my opinion:

As Unkle mentions, a good pager alarm can provide notificaiton of someone messing with your car. If it's properly connected and hidden it will probably be the best for the casual thief, and to a certain extent even from for the professional with a tow truck. Except that you're S.O.O.L. if you don't respond immediately.

"The Club" will also provide a measure of security making it harder for the thief to straighten out your front wheels, but it's irrelevant if they use a tow dolly or truck and can jack up the front end.

A cut off switch, either fuel and battery, as long as well hidden (and discussing WHERE you should hide it is the part of security that should NOT be mentioned publicly) will help you feel better but again... not from the professional with a truck or tow dolly.

Myself, I would opt for the same style of alarm as James Bond's Lotus in the film "For Your Eyes Only". That way if the thief trips it... the car blows up and takes him with it, except that it's messy and it takes a ton of buffing hide the damage....

FWIW

E

Edited by EScanlon

I'm still holding out for the Trunk Monkey...

It's pretty sweet, I've used it for a while now. The only thing they don't tell you in those ads is that you have to feed the monkey too. I'm already on number five wish someone told me sooner.

Edited by Arne

To add. I too plan to drive my car. As a matter of fact, the Z GI Joe Barbie ad for the 350z is what solidified my decision to buy my 1973 240z, back in 2000? Anyway...

I have a storage garage, but I'm not all bent on keeping my 240z with less than 65,000 miles forever. Though, I don't pull it out in rain, cause the seals are shot.

BUT sticking to topic, I thought to use a "club", but know that does little.

I was going to run up some toggle switch that kills the ignition system...need to know where the switch is to engage the ignition. Having said that, I haven't looked into how to execute this deterrent. Seems like my father an electrician and former gear head could figure this out for me.

I like the fuel cut off idea as well, and I'm not shy about getting on my back or dust a little dirt off, to save a joy rider from stealing my fun.

As I am under a budget for now. I might just stick to unhooking the starter motor or something every time.

I'd recommend just taking the off the distributor rotor and taking that with you instead. It's quick to take off and put on, is hidden under the distributor cap, and I doubt many thieves carry old Z rotors around with them.

-Mike

I worked at an auto auction a couple of summers and found some really creative security "enhancements." For example the starter motor wouldn't engage unless you flipped the left turn signal on etc. Then again there were some real dogs that went through the auction so it might have just been faulty wiring :)

The pager and 357 sound like the best bets.