IGNORED

started body work on my 280

grantf

I will be painting the whole car in the near future, but not stripping it all down to bare metal. I will most likely be painted the original yellow. post pics of you're rust perhaps it is only surface but cross you're fingers it seems that these cars like to rust on the inside also.

A little bit more progress. this time it is the rear passanger fender. I found two things, a shmit load of bondo and the bolt hole for the rubber bumper end, this is a good thing as I located two replacement end peaces at the junk yard a few months back, I am happy.

post-17660-14150811206385_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811207049_thumb.jpg

here is some pics of the patch panel loosly fit, note that there is some hammer work and more trimming, but I am pleased that this replacement panel is fitting way better than I thought it would due to reports that it was all wrong. None of these replacement panels fit perfect and I do not believe they are ment to be replacements without some trimming and bending but I was expecting way worse so I am happy.

post-17660-14150811207653_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811208261_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the new piece from msa welded in...

over all a really nice fit but the forward edge was a bit shy of matching the original seam so instead of plug welding I resorted to tacks along the edge :ermm: oh well it will be consealed under the hatch seal anyhow.

post-17660-1415081140689_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811407643_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

ok so it's been a while since my last progress post so here goes....

the dark grey is ppg epoxy primer, I thought that it would be best over bare metal considering that all of the lower body panels were cut out and new pieces welded in, the lighter primer is 2k sandable primer filler, both sprayed pretty rough but that is not a concern of mine since the whole car will be wet sanded to 600.

post-17660-14150812399054_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150812399718_thumb.jpg