IGNORED

Seat restoration

zed2

I am recovering my seats and am looking for suggestions on two aspects of the project:

1) What material can be used to replace the clear plastic sheeting sandwiched between the seat cushions and the mechanisms?

2) What is the original finish on the black mechanisms (I have seen some mechanisms finished with a flat and some with a satin)?

Thanks,

Keith

Satin here also on my 03/72 build.

I feel like flat black would look terrible. Since the seats have just a bit of a shine to them, the mechanism should also IMO.

When I restored my seats, I carefully cut the original clear plastic pieces from the old covers (Nissan sewed them on) and then just inserted them when I put the hardware back on. I soaked them in Dawn detergent to remove the grease. They are a wee bit discolored but you cannot really tell. You might be able to see them in my Album. Click link below.

• 8 years later...

64993DAD-2407-4F42-914E-3DE9C936C27D.jpeg

While refurbishing my 1970 240Z seats , I determined that I needed the clear plastic protectors that separate the seat vinyl and the metal bracket that attaches the seat back to the seat bottom.

Searching the Internet, I found that Zeddsaver

(https://www.zeddsaver.com/collections/interior/products/datsun-240z-seat-protector-shield) offers a set of four (8) protectors for the 1972-1978 Datsun Z.  This style is designed for the seat bracket that allows the seat back to fold forward, a feature that early 240Zs lack.

Without a retailer that caters to Datsun owners with a precut product, I found a commercial plastic supplier and ordered a large roll of material, in the exact thickness of the originals protector, enough to make fifty (50) sets.  Having my original protectors, I cut a set of four. As you can see from the photo, my original protectors were yellowed but were in excellent shape to use as templates.

Maybe someday a retailer will offer a set for early 240Zs.  Until then, we will all have to go to extraordinary lengths to keep our vehicles as complete and accurate as they were when originally manufactured.

Keith

Edited by zed2

@zed2

Hi Keith,

I am doing the same, but the plastic pieces from my 7/70 240z were missing.

I would like to purchase a set also.

If you don't want to get into that, could you send me a kit with paper or cardboard templates for the earlier version?

See you at Branson Zcon 2019??  :beer:

Zup

My intent was not to enter production making clear plastic protectors.  The hardest part is cutting the large holes in the material, using a pair of small scissors on this thick material takes a beating on my hands.  I am researching a hole punch that may have sufficient reach.  If this solution works out then perhaps I can go into limited production.... maybe I'll make the 50 sets and then wait 50 years to sell through them allROFL

Keith

7tooZ
Do you have a set to use as templates if I sent you the material?
Keith

I do, off of 71 seats.

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

25 minutes ago, zed2 said:

My intent was not to enter production making clear plastic protectors.  The hardest part is cutting the large holes in the material, using a pair of small scissors on this thick material takes a beating on my hands.  I am researching a hole punch that may have sufficient reach. 

Have you considered melting a hole with a heated rod of the proper diameter rather than punching one?

Dennis