IGNORED

Gift or Burden - We shall see....

I have lost my cable to the camera. I will take it with me tomorrow to buy one.

Grantf: I will take a rear lamp socket off (the lamp assembly) tomorrow to look if it is good. When you say socket do you mean the actual socket (where the bulb attaches) or the whole "bucket" ( the part that forms the reflector that the lens mounts to), or is it the same? [i am a newbie to the Z car] Right or left? I haven't done any dis-assembly on a 280Z. Sooo.. sorry for the questions.

I will be making a website to link to. It will record the progress of the car. We washed it today. Boy does that make a difference.

Darrel: I see what you mean about the manual transmission swap. It is straight forward.

All: I am new to this forum business. I saw how I can "go advanced" to post some pics. Is this the best way to do it?

Took out rear tail lamp assemblies and some other stuff. Cut head on rusty hatch. Camera cable supposed to be here Friday. As a newbie I didn't know until Saturday the the parts car was a '77 (found "accorddian" style bumper trim and noticed some valance differences). Live and learn I reckon. I'll be getting a 5 speed instead of a 4 speed. Tried to get drivers side door open. Mechanism rusted shut, must get sawzall to kill striker pin . Got passenger door open with crow bar.

Killed all wasps in good car. Cleaned seats. Sat in car and drank beer. Ahhhhhh....I can't describe my satisfaction.

I really think I love this car. After seeing the parts car on blocks and looking at every thing. It is what I want. A simple machine. Evidently it (the good one) was the 19112th one made. It's a '75 but in the black dragon catalog the rear trim pieces are 260Z. I have actually been thinking about keeping the gold color! I want a green one. The parts car seats are in the good one and vise versa. I will hold on to extra frames though.

Be patient while I get a cord. I have taken pics on my phone and will put them up tomorrow. I think I have been given a gift.

Yeah, definitely a gift. Get the good/serviceable parts that you need out of the beater (like the transmission) and burden it...er...gift it to someone else. But the runner looks like a good candidate for a daily driver and even a restoration.

You driver has cancer. Before you try to cut it out, know that it could run much deeper then what you see. If you're looking for a driver, you got it. If you're looking for a project, you got that too.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Z's.

Free Z cars are always a gift. No matter how badly rusted, you have a parts car which will come in very handy. Strip EVERY component off the parts car including every nut, bolt, and washer. Put all the fasteners in a box for later use. Keep every last part that comes off the shell including all rubber body plugs, wiring harness, etc. Your "good" Z still needs a ton of work, but the spare parts will help quite a bit.

Keep posting pics and good luck!

Strip EVERY component off the parts car including every nut, bolt, and washer. Put all the fasteners in a box for later use. Keep every last part that comes off the shell including all rubber body plugs, wiring harness, etc.

True dat!

Take a look at my pics in my signature and compare the rot on my front frame rails to your car. See those stiffeners above the crossmember? Not easy to fabricate and if you are into sawzalling, I could use both! But 1st make sure that YOU dont need them on your good car. The rear stiffeners are fabricate-able and a member (A7D7) here did a very nice job of documentation on his solution. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28644

oldhemi, I looked at my parts car and those re-enforcement pieces are completely gone ( I mean this literally). No dice there. There are things worth saving. I have considered cutting the top off. It's still good.

As for grantf's request for tail light stuff. I have taken them off and they are still good enough to work, the trim on the outside is shot. I don't know if I need them though. I have a mission of getting the parts car taken care of before I even look at the good one. I have washed it (the good one) though.

I cut the striker pin today on the door. It still won't open, it is hanging all along the bottom, I will take care of that tomorrow. I have to do that first to get the dash/instrumentation out.

I plan on sitting in it and drinking beer again tomorrow.

I checked the fusable links today and they seemed good. Long story short the "giver" put the battery in backwards and then couldn't get power to the interior.

Any Ideas.

• 1 month later...

I have underestimated how long it takes to take a car apart and bag and label things. I thought I could do it in a month. Don't think that their isn't a lot parts in the dash. I am down to a few interior trim pieces and the pedal bracket on the inside then I can flip it over and get the suspension/diff bits out.

My brother came down and helped me take the engine/transmission out. I have it stored.

I would have had it stripped down already but life interferes.

....On the topic of pedal brackets.... the good car is an automatic, the pedal bracket is the same as the manual parts car. All I have to do is swap pedals, etc! I was glad to see that after taking out the dash/all componentry completely. I am very close to focusing my attention to the good car.

My den is filling up with Z parts (cool). I plan on listing them once I get the 'site built. Once again life interferes.

Thanks Jeff G 78 for suggesting I keep everything >:(. (humor)

Stupid camera cable doesn't help me with my old ssa computer. I gave up trying to visually documenting everything with it any way.