IGNORED

Complete resto 240z project

Mr. Camoflage is correct.This car has been involved in a severe rear end collision and has had a rear clip from another car mated to the original front. More than likely the floor pan has been cut throught the factory spot weld seam just rear of the seats. Be careful with this car . More than likely the inner rocker reinforcement has been cut and possibly not welded back together . This cannot be seen until the outer rocker is removed and back then they didnt spray any rust inhibiting primers or paint into the rocker areas. This will only lead to more hidden rust. If your going through this much effort to make yourself a nice V8 Z, you will find it less costly to just get another unaltered , rust free shell and will have a much more enjoyable end result.

If it takes another opinion, I concur with what Mr Camo and palosfv3 are saying. Two cars, no doubt, and what is left is not safe or practical to restore.

Unless you have some immense emotional attachment to this pile of steel and iron oxide, and complete confidence in the person repairing the rust and structural damage, I would never in a million years spend the time and money required to make this car safe again. Please please think carefully before continuing.

Jim

Edited by zKars

I agree with Mr. Camo and dont think it is a 240 at all, the dash is not a 240 dash either, the whole thing is a 260, and the interior looks like it is all one color now that everything is removed. I beleive that spot on the C-pillar is where those panels normally go together, or worst case, where replacement panels are welded on. Not sure the whole car was made from two based on the photos provided.

All of the stamps in the engine bay and engine indicate that the front section is a 72 240z. The doorjam indicated 74 260 and it obviously has a 260 rear section due to the hatch pistons and tail lights as well. I believe that they put the 260 bumpers on the front and the rear as well. The dash has a cover on it as well.

I am looking for another shell but if I cant find one reasonably priced I think we may go the roll cage route.

Edited by R_3

An extensive cage would make it safe but I question the investment in time and materials.

i think were gonna go with a cage, and some custom rienforcement under neath the car to completly connect the roll cage. heres the cage that we are gonna be going with http://shop.broke****racing.com/Z_p_9660.html

im pretty damn confident that with that cage with some more bracing, plus re doing all the welds and seams, i can make it plently strong enough.

Edited by blackblaze427