IGNORED

Electronic ignition - Revisited after I gave up!

Arne

2) I had a very low battery after sitting for so long, car barely started, and I noticed that my amp gage was reading very positive which to me means the alternator trying to charge the nearly dead battery back up.

That is one way to shorten the life of an alternator. Try to keep the battery charged using a battery tender, otherwise you'll be out a battery and an alternator at some time.

Don't know which is worse to have in the house - energetic 2 year olds, or hermit 25 year olds...

2year olds.

25 year olds you can just open the door and throw in some raw meat.

They'll survive.

Energetic 2year olds you have to catch and then try to feed.

UPDATE:

Yesterday I had some time to fiddle with the Z. First I checked my timing. Still about 5-7 degrees at 800 rpm static, so I am happy about that. I think it should be more stable, but it will do for now. First thing I did was change the plugs/cap/rotor. (plugs looked a beautiful light brown, she is burning cleeeaaaannn) 15 minutes later, I was out the garage and yup, still had my popping and spitting at 5000 rpm. Pulled back in. Next I changed my fuel filter. Out the garage I went for the second round, and the car immediately shot to 6500 rpm when I floored it in 1st and 2nd gear with no drama at all. I was starting to smile. Did some driving and again, no issues pulling very hard all the way to yellow line.

I was very pleased. I still need to hook up my 60amp alternator and plug in module (nice instructions Arne), but I was happy. One thing I did find out is when I rev the car very slowly in gear, meaning I do not floor it, just part throttle and I creep up on 5000, it will still pop once or twice until I put the pedal down to the floor. Perhaps I am still running a bit rich. Judging by the plugs I would say that is not really the case.

Anyway I went from hitting a wall sputtering and spitting at 5000 rpm to smooth pull to redline with a fuel filter change and tune up. I have to physically try to make it pop now and it is not easy. I am going to try to check my wiring to my coil like Arne did, maybe run a larger wire, and install my 60 amp alternator next. If I can still find a way to make the engine hesitate, I will resync my carbs. I have not touched the air/fuel on the bottom of the carbs since I got them installed from Ztherapy. I turned each of them half a turn and ended up putting them back to where they were. And they were balanced spot on in 10 minutes. LOVE my carbs.

Although, I did balance them with the air cleaners base plate with the horns not on it, and I think I need to balance it again with that part on the car. I figure you should balance the carbs in as close to running condition as possible.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Had hit the 4500rpm wall also.

Already have the alternator upgrade in place.

Still have to recheck the timing, pulled the plugs and even tho I felt it was running a little rich, light brown....all 6 look good.

Only thing I did different was in the past few trips to get gas, have been putting in the mid-grade 89 octane, not regular 87. Yesterday splurged and put in 6 gals of 91 (all Sunoco).

Coming home from a drive (not sure if it had enough time to reach the 89-91 mix), punched it thru and now up to 6 grand before it started to stumble/plateau.

I'd guess the octane made a difference, but a little clatter prior to the 91 makes me think I need to recheck the timing.

I'll try re-balancing with the back plate on. Don't know if it'll make any difference, but what the hell.

Edited by mlc240z