Sign in to follow this  
BTF/PTM

Best way to de-gunk a differential?

The factory R180 out of my z (it has a non-LSD R200 in it) is absolutely caked with grime. Is there a specific method and/or cleaner that's best for getting all that off? Can the whole assembly be dunked in a bucket full of solvent? Perhaps I could have it hot-tanked?

My first thought is a parts washer and wire brushes to get the gunk off.

How about... wait for it... Gunk.

You can put the diff in a parts washer or a solvent tank, but if you submerge it you'll get solvent in the oil. Not sure what effect the solvent will have on the seals either if that matters. I put my bare housing in my solvent tank and cleaned it that way before reassembly, worked great.

Wire brush, brake cleaner or acetone and a little elbow grease and time always worked for me.

Rinse off and a fresh coat of paint and you'll forget how crappy it looked before.

Ya, there is more than one way to clean your rear-end...LOL

Actually, I was thinking that you have to be careful. If you scrub your rear end too hard with a wire brush, it might keep you from being able to drive your Z.;)

Actually, I was thinking that you have to be careful. If you scrub your rear end too hard with a wire brush, it might keep you from being able to drive your Z.;)

Ya, NOW you tell me...... :stupid: LOL

Soap and hot water, pressure washer works good. Light enough to bring to a car wash if you dont have these items! Easiest part on the car to clean, IMHO.

As others have stated, no solvent tank!

K, here's what you do. Scrape of the major stuff with a plastic scraper. Then get some Easy Off Oven Cleaner-the lemon scented one is quite pleasant. Spray it on, scrubb a bit with a brush, and then rinse off.

The nice thing about the oven cleaner is that it becomes water soluble, so it's easy to rinse. If the diff is out of the car, I would tape some plastic over the drive flanges so that you don't get water in the bearings or gears.

Thanks guys! :) Looks like I just need some spray cleaner and a wire brush for the worst of it. I'd like to pull the rear cover to see what gear ratio it is and just to look becuz I've never opened a differential before, so maybe I'll do the external wire brush scrub and then open it up and refill it with fresh oil and paint it so it's shiny like Kinfish's.

I used a powerwasher, then small bbq wire brush with solvent and repeat. I did scratch up the front aluminum with the brush when I tried it there so I used a softer nylon golf club cleaner bruss.