IGNORED

Considering Konig or Rota RB

d240zx2

Well, my 40 year-old slotted aluminum wheels are getting ready to retire. And no, that doesn't mean I'm getting new rubber...;)

I'm looking at Konig Rewinds and Rota RB wheels in a 16 x 7 size w/ minimum offset. I will probably have to limit my tire size to 205-50 to avoid rubbing anywhere as the Z is lowered a bit.

Does anyone have any opinion or experience with either of these brands, good or bad? I'd appreciate your personal knowledge on these two makers.

Many thanks!

I'm considering the exact same wheels, and size, though I'm not quite there yet. I read that the offset is +4 for these cars. The only distributor I've found for the Rotas is a guy in Northern California-I think he wanted around $590 shipped. I haven't priced out the Konigs yet.

Please keep us posted.

I'm also in the market for wheels. Been mulling over 15x7 Konig Rewinds and 205/60/15 tires to go on them. I'm running Tokico HP shocks and Tokico springs from the popular kit, and I'm hoping 60 profile tires will help a little with some of the rougher roads around town.

Anyway, I've been all over a few threads about Rewinds and other 8 spoke wheels here and at HybridZ, and somewhere along the line I picked up this link:

http://www.jlbmotorsports.com/rims/konig-list.html

Rewinds are about 3/4 of the way down the page, and they seem to have the lowest price at $499 per set for the 15x7 0mm offset size...INCLUDING shipping.

Less than MSA, who currently price it at $550, and I believe shipping is another 50 bucks or so from California to Texas. Although, the MSA kit specifies that it comes with wheel caps, valve stems, and lug nuts, whereas the JLB page makes no mention.

Similarly, for the 16x7's: $550 shipped vs. $599 w/o shipping at MSA.

This also brings to mind something else I've been curious about - exactly what kind of lug nuts do Rewinds need? Tapered/acorn, or the straight style with washers?

Anyone here have experience with this seller?

Edited by Inf

I bought a set of 15" Rewinds with Toyo Proxes 225/50/15, shipped from MSA last summer. They came mounted, balanced, included chrome valve stems and the center caps. Shipped from California to Cincinnati for $1079 total. I looked around and found the wheels cheaper a couple other places. But when I factored in tires, mounting, etc, they seemed to be the best deal. Shipped right to my door, bolt them on and go.

I went with Rewinds last month, 15x7, with Goodyear 205/60/15's, after 8 years of stock wheels and 195/70/14 uniroyals...My Z is also lowered and I've had no issues with fit. The ride of my car improved dramatically, and even though they are a popular wheel amongst Z's, the fact that there are fewer Z's out there every day still lets the wheels stand out...

I was going to go through MSA, but I found the wheels for $99 apiece at discount tire(even though they also had to ship them from California.) The stock acorn lug nuts can be re-used, and after $10 for a set of Z logos from MSA for the konig center caps I saved around $200...the spindle caps on my front axle had to be 'tweaked' for the center caps to clear, per MSA's advice...

Sorry I can't comment on the 16x7's, but I'm pretty happy with the Konigs as a brand. I learned that going through a company like discount tire let's you change your mind if the wheels don't fit, which is pretty convenient. That being said if the price difference had only been $50 or so I would have gone through MSA...Nothing but good things to say about them...

Hi inmocean,

I was thinking about just getting everything at Discount tire too (that's where I get my tires anyway, because of the warranty and widespread locations to service it), but the picture on their website for Konig Rewinds looked like +40mm offset Rewinds, and I couldn't get a concrete response from them one way or the other with regards to offset.

May have to give them another look. Another thing I saw was a $100 mail in rebate if you buy a set of wheels and a set of tires at the same time from them (although you need to make your purchase on their store credit card, which I doubt I'd get suckered into even for the rebate). Something to think about, anyway.

Edited by Inf

Check out www.wheeldude.com. I ordered a set of silver Rota rbs 15x7 +4mm offset with caps and lugnuts from them this week. Be sure you get the 114.5 bolt pattern. They supposedly shipped Friday. I'll repost when they arrive. $523 shipped from Cali to Colorado. Haven't decided on tires yet. Either Sumitomo HTR 200s or Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids($100 more than the Sumis) in 215-60/15.

Cheers, Mike

When I had the '72 in Vancouver, I used the Eibach lowering springs, new struts and dropped the car 1.5 inches...I had the 15x7 Konig rewinds with 195/55/15 Kumhos as I didn't want to go too wide....and there was absolutely no rubbing issues.

If I was to do it again, I would go 16" wheels, wider tire and maybe not lower the car at all but go a taller sidewall to fill the space.

A couple of pics with the rewinds for you.

Chris

post-15533-14150810125534_thumb.jpg

post-15533-14150810125964_thumb.jpg